logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 3:57:05 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
A few years back, I suffered a whiplash related accident, and ever since then have had sporadic spells of dizzyness and neck pain. I'm not the shortest of people either, and unforunately fall well outside the 95th percentile for ergonomic design. So the computer workstation setup is vitally important- despite breaking every rule in the book by using a stupid laptop for my work.

Does anyone else here suffer from CAD operators back syndrome, or have you got a decent work setup? How do you have your workstations set up, and how much did you spend on furniture and what did you look for when purchasing?

Isn't CAD an expensive game? :eek:
Tem  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:11:30 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
May i suggest a high desk that requires you to stand most of the day.
You can have a high seat-like platform to lean against and partially sit on.
Can be made of plywood and carpet remnants, formed like an extruded "A shape with sofy stuff on top, but not a bar stool, lower. Thsi set-up will make your feet a bit sore, but at the end of the day putting your feet up becomes somethig to look forward to. Also, at the right hight, you end up using your shoulders and elbows more for mousing around, so some of the workload is spread out, easing the wrist workload. Monitor height is important, I find that center of screen below eye level works well. Lastly, change up your body positions during the day. I work on a laptop on a futon on the floor for a bit, then stand up for the CAD, and back again, doing some stretches in between, even a few push-ups to let off some steam. Anyways, to each their own, you'll find what works for you when you mix things up more. That static working position was very hard on my back. I had whiplash a long time ago too, sorry for the lingering effects. All the best.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:01:06 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Thanks for the input Tem. The standing to the workstation part was interesting , and I've also been considering this idea. This iPhone seems to be the only thing I can touch at the moment, without feeling sick :(

Anyone else have any input? Tim, I'd be interested in your input too, considering how much programming you are putting in.

Tom.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:45:17 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Tim, I'd be interested in your input too, considering how much >>programming you are putting in.

I'm particular about my chair. I need a chair that I can adjust the height, back, and arm rests.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Gary  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:21:32 PM(UTC)
Gary

Tom,

I have had issues with my mousing wrist and shoulder over the years and am now very focused on making sure some basic ergonomic positions are always met the relationship of keyboard height, wrist angle and seat height. Once I found the right settings for these a lot of my problems went away.

I also agree with the the other suggestions, a good chair is well worth the money, and changing your position often will go a long way.

Good luck.

Gary
ianjkirby  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:11:31 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi guys,
Some time back I saw a workstation "seat" which was really a sort of a stool, in that there was no direct back support. The upper legs were inclined roughly 45 degrees to the spine, and the lower legs bent back about 90 degrees to the uppers. The body weight was supported roughly equally between the backside and the knees, knees resting on a padded "seat" of their own. I do not have a back or other problem, but I did try one briefly, and it was much more comfortable than I thought it would be on first appearance.
Regards, Ian.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
jlm  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:29:44 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Jol, could you create a CAD rocking chair for us.
With an integretad oak mouse pad...
Thanks in advance.
JL
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:34:10 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Guys, I'd be interested to know your height too. Do you mind?

Ian, I think what you are talking about is a kneeling chair. Unfortunately these are pretty poor- despite claims of being ergonomic. The main reason for this is that they fail to offer lumber/back support, so actually they tire you out pretty quickly- well according to "the total back care centre" here in Birmingham. Stokke make quite a good kneeling chair- this design has lumber/back support, but it costs a cool 700!!

I think I'm going to invest 200+ on a decent chair :?
NickB  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:23:10 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tom,
I am 5-7 with shortish legs and find that most chairs just dont go down far enough. Like a lot of people I have an Aeron - size small (they come in three sizes) and have the seat all the way at the bottom. This allows me to have my legs and feet flat on the ground. My desk is of my own design is is very low by conventional standards with the top at about 26 inches. Suspended below this low top is my keyboard, and my mousing surface is level with the zero point of the keys (bottom row top of key). The most important thing is to make sure that your arms are supported by the rests on the chair, and the rests need to be adjusted so that your shoulders are neither hunched up, or dropped down to far. The mousing surface then needs to be adjusted so that it is level with the armrest. Your arm and shoulder are then both fully supported which means no muscle strain anywhere. I have had this setup for over ten years and never had any of the problems that I had when working with sub-optimal setups.

I will try and do a diagram that explains all this, but I think you will find that you will have to invest time, money and energy to get things right. My advice is to start with a chair that goes low enough and then build out from there.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:28:52 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>The most important thing is to make sure that your arms are supported by >>the rests on the chair, and the rests need to be adjusted so that your >>shoulders are neither hunched up, or dropped down to far. The mousing >>surface then needs to be adjusted so that it is level with the armrest. Your >>arm and shoulder are then both fully supported which means no muscle >>strain anywhere.

Yes, agree completely with Nick. (Tom I'm 6' 3").

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:46:26 AM(UTC)
ttrw

hehe- I'm 6'5".

It's a pig being tall :(

I'm off to look at a decent chair tomorrow- but I fear that is only half (but very important) of the journey.

I'm also starting to figure out that eye-strain is a contributing factor too.

Bottom line, Laptops are REALLY BAD for your posture, well being!! :mad:
NickB  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:01:30 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post

Bottom line, Laptops are REALLY BAD for your posture, well being!! :mad:

Laptops are an ergonomic disaster.
If you intend to spend any time on a laptop while sitting at a desk you need to invest in a keyboard and mouse that can be positioned, and a stand that will lift the laptops screen up to a better viewing height. Better still plug in an external display.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ZeroLengthCurve  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:24:34 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi,

I don't know the individual physical difficulties people have, but i would like to suggest that some isometrics and "trunk twists" (while standing, do 3-count repetitions left-right-left-right (1), left-right-left-right (20) for 20 to 40 times), along with various other mild exercises to strengthen the back muscles. A whole fitness regimen is not necessary.

As a kid (aroun 10 or so) i was diagnosed with scoliosis. My X-rays were scary. Later, Ii wanted to join the navy, but at around age 16, my scoliosis checkups led to my doctor suggesting fusing a titanium rod to my spine to lessen the curvature. There was NO WAY IN HELL i was going to take a metal rod on my spine. The thoughts of slipping on stairs and hitting my back (which happened once before) were scary. I only imagined a rod breaking my back.

I told the doc i WAS going to the navy, and that kind of surgery would disqualify me for life. I told him i was able to run at least a mile, (tho i hated running), i had been doing military-style exercises in JROTC and other activities, and then he relented and suggested i do more of them and more often and come back months later. Sure enough, i was in much better shape, and the Navy accepted me (well, they accepted people in worse conditions... one guy was so haunched over that in my brother's unit, they called the guy "Centaur". I asked why the hell was he named "Centaur". He said, "Well, you know.. half man, half horse..."....

But, anyway, i'd like to hope that mild (and per-person-safe) exercises can alleviate *some* (maybe not all, but some) of the aggravation of working at a desk.