logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
posh.de  
#21 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 4:44:35 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
It's not pretty, but you're getting the performance of the Mac hardware without any emulation in sight, I guess it's a sacrifice that has to be made?

just wondering why using NX on an expensive Mac/Book Pro if not getting this 'lovely Mac experience' and with recent/future intel CPUs as e.g. Core i7 being available on the PC platform first?

:rolleyes:
Norb.
Steve.M  
#22 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:15:29 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
if pros are willing to pay 20,/30,/40,000.- bucks for NX they probably don't wanna save money using a consumer/gamer graphics card instead of a Quadro FX dedicated and able to run it...

Norbert

Any of the main CAD systems will run very easily/nicely on any of the now standard graphic processors/cards. I have an old (in PC terms) PC with a GT6600(now about $40 to purchase) that has no problem with the latest solidworks/ solid edge CAD.

I do run these apps on an higher end PC, but would not have a problem still using one of my older PCs. It is really down to the implementation made by the vendor. VC/Shark on openGL is not good

- Steve
Steve.M  
#23 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:24:55 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

SE is, similar to SWX or Inventor, a mid-range MCAD mainly for volume modeling in the engineering area. NX is, similar to Catia or Pro/E, a high-end CAD capable to develop

I use Catia, but only early versions of Pro-E. I will find a trial of NX or one of the companies (I have/do contract for) now using it who will allow my access.

-Thanks for the info,

- Steve
posh.de  
#24 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 12:28:31 PM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
...that has no problem with the latest solidworks/ solid edge CAD.

sure, the GeForce series may work too but 'not having problems' is not the real question, at least for professional users dependent on a working system.

actually the question is, if the user can be sure, that the current OpenGL stack is fully and reliably supported which is typically not the case with consumer/gamer video cards, especially with the ATI Radeon series under Windows.

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
It is really down to the implementation made by the vendor. VC/Shark on openGL is not good

you are mixing up cause and symptom, the cause of OGL problems is obviously not the application making use of features of the recent OGL stack but the user who is of the opinion, that low-end video sub systems are fine for OGL based 3d modelers... which is not valid even for cheapies as e.g. SketchUp.

Therefore many makers of CAx applications as e.g. SWX etc. are certifiying the compatibility of video cards/drivers with their CAx systems, typically with the CAx series of graphics card makers only.

According to the latest [URL="http://www.heise.de/kiosk/archiv/ct/2009/2/124_Grafikkarten-fuer-professionelle-CAD-und-3D-Design-Anwendungen"]concerning test[/URL] of the #1 computing magazine c't in 01.09, the OGL optimized drivers of the CAx series do perform much better in the sense of performance and stability than the consumer cards even using slower GPUs.

btw, in the meanwhile the Quadro FX series starts from roughly U$ 125.-...

htc,
Norbert
Steve.M  
#25 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:19:16 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

you are mixing up cause and symptom, the cause of OGL problems is obviously not the application making use of features of the recent OGL stack but the user who is of the opinion, that low-end video sub systems are fine for OGL based 3d modelers... which is not valid even for cheapies as e.g. SketchUp.
I only make specific hardware choice based on an application (certified needs) if only that application is to be installed on the system. (such as if making purchase on behalf of a 3rd party). My own needs are not specific to one application, but for the hardware to run various CAD/ 3d applications based on openGL and directX.

When I have 4 CAD systems that use openGL and only one of those products give me display issues, then I am not going to start changing hardware, I will in fact start looking at that specific application to see why its display is actually giving me issues, and questions/comments will be made to that Vendor about its implementation.

btw, in the meanwhile the Quadro FX series starts from roughly U$ 125.-...

Actually, I know another user who does use a Quadro FX, and he has the same issues as myself, so it is not my graphics card.

Homework is needed, not links to possible bias reports.

Regards,

- Steve
NickB  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:57:04 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just got off the phone with the local (Bay Area, San Francisco) rep.

The basic NX Mac package is $7500. This will allow you to open SolidWorks parts, but not ProE. ProE requires a seperate module as does FEA, CAM etc. Maintenance on the basic package is $1650 per year.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc