logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
linpwer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:55:35 PM(UTC)
linpwer

[FONT="Verdana"]I'm looking for help in making a screw thread on a solid cylinder object.

Thanks,
linpwer[/FONT]
jasonb  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2007 10:50:07 AM(UTC)
jasonb

I start with a cylinder a given diameter. Make a helix with the same diameter at the center point long the length of my cylinder. I make a surface profile of the thread. I extrude the profile along the helix. I can adjust the pitch of the helix to work out my thread spacing. The I can resize the thread depth by modifying the associated thread profile.

To finish out a bolt I chamfer the end of the cylinder. I then will do a tapper of the bolt thread by creating a long arch from the end face of the thread to the surface of the cylinder. I select the face of the ending thread and extrude the face profile to along the arch so thread tappers out onto the face of the cylinder.

Hope this helps.
linpwer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 11:53:56 AM(UTC)
linpwer

I must not be doing something right with the thread profile. Everytime I try to sweep or extrude the profile I get an ACIS Error of "The helical sweep results in a self-intersecting body.

:confused:
linpwer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:09:11 PM(UTC)
linpwer

I did it. :)

I had to create three helixes all on the same axis as the cylinder.
I first made a helix for the major diameter of the screw thread.
Then a helix with the minor diameter of the screw thead that starts at 1/2 pitch from the start of the first helix.
The third helix is with the major diameter of the screw thread, but starts at the pitch distance from the first helix.

I made a surface with helix 1 and helix 2, then a second surface from helix 2 and helix 3. Next join the two surfaces.

Then subtract the surface from the cylinder, which gave me an internally threaded solid. I made a new solid cylinder and subtracted the internal thread.

I had to make the chamfer on the end of cylinder prior to subtracting the thread material. If tried to chamfer one end of the cylinder after subtracting the tread material, I received an error message.
linpwer  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 8:21:29 AM(UTC)
linpwer

The method I used to create a screw thread in a cylinder is still not quite right. I seem to get a good render but the result with I select the Model to Sheet is not of much use.:confused: I attached a jpg file of the rednering of the screw thread and a pdf file of the Model to Sheet results.

If someone has a method that also gives a good model to sheet result, that would be great.

Thanks,
File Attachment(s):
M3X0.5Thread_SheetDrawing.pdf (100kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
linpwer attached the following image(s):
M3X0.5Thread.jpg (72kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
nabed  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 9:12:01 AM(UTC)
nabed

Try elevating the curves You used for the surfaces.
If that doesn't work try splitting up the solid before using the model to sheet command.

Ciao, Norbert
jlm  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 3:44:08 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Hi,
I make a lot of threads and I always use one hellix only and a swept profile.
You can find an example file on the old forum, (I still have issues to attach stuff to this one) :

http://csi-concepts.com/conceptsunli...hp?p=9258#9258

This one is a "negative" screw used to make a threaded bore in a bloc by boolean substract.
I hope it helps,
JL
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 3:03:34 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've put another helix tutorial here;

http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=914

:)