logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blowlamp  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 2:29:47 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

I've been playing with this application for a day or two and I'm lovin' it. From what I can make out, its nearest equivalent is something like Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw. The things I like about it are the huge range of file imports/ exports, including DXF, EPS, PDF, IGES and just about any bitmap format you care to mention. Once one of thes files is imported it can be edited and saved in a different format. Its unique attribute is that it can manipulate both raster and vector images seamlessly and has seemingly limitless ways of manipulating text, vectors and pictures. It does good auto dimentioning as well. Anyone else use Canvas, or even heard of it before?

Cheers.
Martin.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 2:47:13 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yes. Canvas used to be an excellent app- now it's barely updated. Maybe it's okay on a PC- it started life out on a Mac app, but is now dead on OS X (and costs an arm and a leg too!)

If you've got a Mac, get Intaglio by Purgatory Design- it's ace! :cool:
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 2:50:01 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Hmm looks like the price has come down somewhat. Perhaps no one buys it any more? :eek:
blowlamp  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:28:55 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Hi Tom.
Intaglio looks quite good for the money but no good for me I'm afraid as it looks like an Apple only application, and I use a PC.:D Does Intaglio import and export things like DXF/DWG, as that was one of my requirements to allow interaction between my CAD/CAM applications?
The more I use Canvas the more impressive it becomes.

Cheers.
Martin.
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:55:07 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post
I use a PC.:D

Yes, I know. :D

Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post

Does Intaglio import and export things like DXF/DWG, as that was one of my requirements to allow interaction between my CAD/CAM applications?

No- but then it never needed to until Mac support was dropped. Martin, don't get me wrong, Canvas was (is) a decent application, until much development was apparently dropped. Many of the Intaglio users on the Freeway forum are ex-Canvas users, and some of them whine about Canvas X being no more- so I just picked up on that/ them. They also moan about Canvas being bloatware- whereas Intaglio is only a few mb's big.

I use both Mac and Windows- both are good platforms- but I prefer Mac for surfing because there are no viruses for it, so tend to spend a lot of time with it (and always get mixed up on the silly mac vs pc debates!! :o ). Also I like the constant standards to how apps are written in OS X- a bit like VC I suppose? There's nothing worse than a software company that chooses to have a completely non-standard front end- completely counter-intuitive :mad:

Martin, I'd be really interested to see if Canvas correctly displays dimensioning arrows, as e-drawings here on Mac doesn't work. Also due to the restrictions of the DWG format with other apps other than Autodesk apps, it was believed that the next CAD standard would be the good old PDF standard, rather than DWG- but I guess too many Architects still use ACAD?
blowlamp  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:24:04 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post

Martin, I'd be really interested to see if Canvas correctly displays dimensioning arrows, as e-drawings here on Mac doesn't work. ACAD?

Tom.
If there's something you would like me to try, then do let me know. If you have a specific file to test, you can send it to me and I'll run it through Canvas and post the result, no problem at all.

Cheers.
Martin.
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:38:01 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hi Martin.

Yes it's best if others also attempt this to (just to make sure that it isn't me being a dork) :D

EXCEPT......

This forum doesn't allow me to upload DWG files. Hmmm..... Tim?

Martin, PM me your email addie, and I'll post it to you off list :)
blowlamp  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:06:47 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tom.
PM sent.
Martin.
blowlamp  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:29:14 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tom.
A couple of screenshots of your .DWG file as displayed in Canvas. Hope it helps with sorting out the problem.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
arrows1.JPG (161kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
arrows.JPG (146kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:22:05 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Thanks Martin :)

They come out almost exactly as e-Drawings (Mac) displays them (see pic), except with added yellowness :eek:

So there's still a problem- back lines from the vertices shown in yellow, showing through. Not good. Tim/ Punch (after speaking earlier to Nick on the phone), reckon this could be Apple's fault- but then I dunno, because e-Drawings shows DWG's made from other apps okay (PC and Mac). So possibly this is just a bug that needs wrapping up. :)
ttrw attached the following image(s):
Picture 14.png (13kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.