logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blowlamp  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:36:16 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Greetings All.
Draw a circle or elipse etc, and apply a hatch pattern to it, then export as a DXF file. Import back into ViaCAD or other application, and you should find that the hatching is now separate from its boundary, and (in my case) much larger in scale. I've got ViaCad set up to run in metric and if I put a bounding box around the now separate entities I can see that one is 25.4 times larger than the other, so I believe it's a metric/imperial conversion issue.

I would appreciate it if someone could also give me their opinion on whether they think things are working properly, when using the Z key to restrain movement and position objects on that particular axis.

Thanks.
Martin.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:52:24 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post
Greetings All.
Draw a circle or elipse etc, and apply a hatch pattern to it, then export as a DXF file. Import back into ViaCAD or other application, and you should find that the hatching is now separate from its boundary, and (in my case) much larger in scale. I've got ViaCad set up to run in metric and if I put a bounding box around the now separate entities I can see that one is 25.4 times larger than the other, so I believe it's a metric/imperial conversion issue.

I would appreciate it if someone could also give me their opinion on whether they think things are working properly, when using the Z key to restrain movement and position objects on that particular axis.

Thanks.
Martin.

Hi, Martin

Yes the 5mm hatch spacing in the pic shows .196" in the object info box but the units are mm and the data bar shows 5mm spacing.

I can also get objects to move off the z axis when holding z key down. X,Y are working aok, but z is jumping off at certain distances?

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
hatchmm.jpg (25kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 5:33:07 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Hi Jason and hopefully Tim.
Out of interest here is a couple of before and after export screen shots, that I should have included in my original post. Do you get this effect too?

I think there is a problem with the Z key in this respect, and also notice that the Z coordinates don't update on the information line at the top of the screen like the X and Y axes do, when moved with the mouse.

System is: ViaCAD v833 set up in metric units, and exporting to DXF in mm's. XP sp3.

Thanks.
Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
Hatch Before.JPG (190kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Hatch After.JPG (181kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:52:01 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Checking...

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:02:33 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Draw a circle or elipse etc, and apply a hatch pattern to it, then export as a >>DXF file. Import back into ViaCAD or other application, and you should find >>that the hatching is now separate from its boundary, a

Martin

Fixed in 834. Many thanks for reporting, good bug find!

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ianjkirby  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 6:09:08 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Martin

Yes the 5mm hatch spacing in the pic shows .196" in the object info box but the units are mm and the data bar shows 5mm spacing.

Jason

Hi Jason,
I don't know enough to debate with you, but I couldn't help but notice that the image attached to your message shows the hatching to be "Scale = 0.196..." in the object info box. I do not understand how this "Scale" factor relates to the hatch; shouldn't it show the actual dimension of the hatch spacing, as your message suggests? If not, to what basis is the scale factor referring?
Regards, Ian.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 8:37:41 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ianjkirby Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jason,
....I couldn't help but notice that the image attached to your message shows the hatching to be "Scale = 0.196..." in the object info box. I do not understand how this "Scale" factor relates to the hatch; shouldn't it show the actual dimension of the hatch spacing, as your message suggests? If not, to what basis is the scale factor referring?
Regards, Ian.

HI, Ian

Yes the object info shows the hatch spacing but calls it scale, not sure Tim would have to comment why?

It was also displaying inches even when units were set for mm. I had the hatch spacing at 5mm but it was showing in inches. I guess scale in object info means spacing.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
blowlamp  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 4:28:54 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tim and Co.
I've just checked this in VC 835, and the bug is still there, as before (when saved as mm's).

Thanks.
Martin.
blowlamp  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:54:52 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tim.
Can you confirm that this is now fixed in the next build?

Thanks.
Martin.
Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 9:23:20 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post
Tim.
Can you confirm that this is now fixed in the next build?

Thanks.
Martin.

Martin
Have not been able to figure out yet, still looking.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
blowlamp  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:12:51 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tim.
Hatching is still being offset from its boundary curves. I'm set up in mm's.

VC Pro v852

Martin.