logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
posh.de  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 2:56:08 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
similar to SketchUp an option for switching from a hardware accelerated OGL output by the GPU to a software based OGL output processed by the CPU.

this would enable users experiencing display output glitches with e.g. 'lame' systems or a new operating system to at least run the application even with low display output speed which is often not remarkable in connection with small models and the numbercrunching CPUs available today.

Norbert
WaveMechanic  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 6:57:33 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I second Norbert's suggestion.

It would also increase the sales market for ViaCAD since more people would be able to use/run it. It's nice to have software that uses the cutting edge of current technology, but you can really limit the market of a product by doing so, as most people's system specs are not on the "cutting edge". In fact, most computers I see in stores only have integrated video. I already have worries about what computer to buy next. Since I have become very attached to ViaCAD, I'm not sure what specs are necessary on my next computer to assure ViaCAD will run on it.

And, for those already using viaCAD, less hassle on "less capable" computers.

Seems like it would be a win-win-win for everybody.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Friday, May 15, 2015 7:11:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
ViaCAD 2D/3D and PRO V9 1184, Blender 2.49-2.78.
Win 7 SP1, Core I5, 64-bit, NVIDIA G105M
posh.de  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 3:05:44 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaveMechanic Go to Quoted Post
... what specs are necessary on my next computer to assure ViaCAD will run on it.

• CPU: recent intel Core i5/i7
• GPU: dedicated nVidia GeForce GT(X)
• RAM: 8+ GB

and you're fine, a SSD is nice too.
memphisjed  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:29:56 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have found the amd a-10 desktop to be solid. smaller files it is faster to run sans graphics card, and bigger/curvey files better with card turned on. It runs longer before the bold letter pre freeze warning than the i5 vpro at work (NVidia with directx preferred drivers for BIM). Ram is not even nudged, being vcp is 32 bit, solid state drive is almost mandatory for drawing software. Still, the smoothest and least buggy is my laptop with older i5 and a firepro card with opengl preferred drivers.