logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
solidtooldesigns  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 3:06:37 PM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Would it be possible to to be able to copy an object more times without having to select the start position each time ? Just select multiple end positions to populate with copies ?
rokoko  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 3:12:00 PM(UTC)
rokoko

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 45 post(s)
have you seen the linear duplicate tool?

see post #6 in http://forum.punchcad.co...sts&t=7699#post28874

Edited by user Monday, February 15, 2016 3:13:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

viacad pro 10 powerpackpro, viacad pro 9 german, mac
solidtooldesigns  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 3:18:44 PM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Yes I have thank you. That works perfect for objects in a pattern. I would like this to work by just clicking points so that the objects do not have to be in a pattern.

What we have right now works nicely. Just saying it would be nice to not have to select the start point each time.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 3:46:09 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 353 post(s)
You could try the Paste at location. But it requires control v then click at location each time.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
solidtooldesigns  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 7:18:08 PM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. My issue with this is that the object is copied but it is not copied to a snapped location. It would then have to be moved if you have a specific location in mind.

With what I am mentioning it would allow the copied object to be placed at a snapped position. It would be more or less the same as our current copy just without having to click a start position for every instance, only the first instance as the base reference point. Currently after an object is copied it is then selected.

If the symbol importing could work the same way that would be awesome. Just select the symbol you wish to import and then start clicking locations (including osnapped positions) and a symbol appears at the location.

Edited by user Monday, February 15, 2016 7:40:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

macnavi  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:49:37 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
It doesn't sound like a new feature that many would need. Most copying will be linear or mirroring. I think the suggestion of Tim, copy and paste in place where you click is a very effective solution and doesn't require much more action than hitting a short cut. Your mouse doesn't have to move after the previous click.

The only feature I could imagine where you want to use it, is if you want to create a irregular texture. But then some different angles would be desired as well. Maybe enlighten us with what you are trying to achieve?
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12
solidtooldesigns  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:53:51 AM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Let's say I want to add a standard component of any sort to my design that is not in a pattern. Springs, ejectors, dowels,fasteners... you name it. I want these to be in a particular position. Lets say centered with a hole. There are hundreds of holes. Most not in defined patterns. I could then copy said object to the center of all the different holes without having to re-click the start and end. I would only have to click these end positions each time. Hundreds of clicks saved.

If I just use copy and paste, the location is not snapped to the desired position. I would have to then position each object after to the snapped location. That is more time consuming then the current copy function.

The goal of what I am suggesting saves the user an extra click with each copy produced.

Attached is a short video demonstrating what I mean with a tapped hole and the current copy function. This is much much smaller scale of what I do everyday. (Machine Designer.)

Edited by user Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:06:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
2016-02-16_07-59-33.mp4 (2,341kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
solidtooldesigns  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:12:31 AM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Attached is a different video using a polyline to represent what I am suggesting. Instead of a new line appearing I am suggesting that a copied object would appear at the picked location.

Perhaps I am missing something. I am fairly new to ViaCAD. I spend 60-70hrs a week using cad. I'm always looking for ways to reduce time / clicks. As mentioned before, what we have right now works good. I'm not complaining so much as offering an idea that may or may not improve things. Implemented or not, I like to share ideas.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:20:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
2016-02-16_08-06-17.mp4 (1,198kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

Antoine  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:30:54 AM(UTC)
Antoine

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Hello,

For your help.

http://www.screencast.com/t/eiJwmxyrR

Antoine

Edited by user Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:32:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

solidtooldesigns  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:06:46 AM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Thank you Antoine. I appreciate the feedback and the demonstration. But this is not the issue. I just used the squares as a rough example for snap points to demonstrate.
macnavi  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:32:44 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I see what you mean. I assume you do are only using a simple solid as an example and you thinking about using designed items. Otherwise you could just would keep the Cylinder One Point tool selected and with every click it will create a copy.

So if you have a special solid, then I would not use the "paste in place", but "Paste at last click". This is a setting under Edit->Paste Options... Now you just have to click on the desired spot, then hit Command-V (or prob ctrl-V on a PC?) to paste at that place. Repeating this until you're finished. I don't think there is a faster way.

Edit: but you might already been doing the last method. Just mentioning it, just in case.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:34:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12
solidtooldesigns  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:05:32 AM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Yes using more complex shapes.

Paste options is not bad but you have to designate center or a corner. The objects still need to be moved into position after.

I really think the best option is to use the current copy command to do what I need. It just requires 2x the clicks and extra mouse movements from what it could be. Just throwing ideas around. Just because it works best for me doesn't mean what I'm suggesting works best for everyone. I understand that. But if I never bring it up then there is zero chance of explaining it and others might be missing out on opportunity to make potential improvements.
L. Banasky  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:55:16 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 101 post(s)
Do you want something like AutoCAD has had for 20 years or so?
Copy Object-Multiple, select the object, select Multiple, select the
objects center, endpoint, midpoint, etc, and then you can copy as
many times as you want to any snapping point or wherever.
Larry
L. Banasky attached the following image(s):
Copy Object-Mulitple.jpg (127kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

solidtooldesigns  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:36:21 PM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Yes this is what I am getting at. Many softwares use this method.