logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
carsten  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 3:09:48 PM(UTC)
carsten

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi folks,
seems i worked to long with autocad and 3ds max so i did not find a solution to simply move an object from an unknown position to a defined position like 0,0,0. Now i hope that this is stupid easy. I simply hoped to move my object by entering the values in the absolute coordinate input box but this does not move anything.
Hope to get your feedback
Have a great start to 2019 as it is 1.5 houres to go! here!
Regards
Carsten
thanks 1 user thanked carsten for this useful post.
specktech on 6/4/2021(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 6:08:38 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 204 post(s)
Hi, you can use the gripper dialog box, change from centre of selected, to user selected, and pick object to axis. This moves the object.
Or simply highlight and drag it to a point, and if need be rotate to align.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
carsten  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 3:42:08 AM(UTC)
carsten

Thanks UGMENTALCASE,
but i think after trying your tip this is not what i need. I just want to position any object in space without having the need to have another object to align it to. I build several Solids and want them all to be with their base on Z=0 or Z= 110,05 so i look for a chance to enter these coordinate by number. I can'T believe that this should not be possible with a 2000 Euro Software as it is a standard within all CAD systems i know.
So i hope that there will be another way to position relative to the grippers (or what else object / face) coordinate.
Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Have a great 2019
Carsten
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 4:03:32 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Ah see what you mean, like Catia you can 'snap' axis systems together. I'm not totally aware of one,there are many a work arounds, like with a few other things. There is the magnet snap tool but works with faces not axis systems. There isn't really an axis system in the parts to be honest.
murray  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 5:00:48 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Precision point entry is what you're wanting. You can use a snap "from" point and enter the "to" point in the PP data box, or you can enter the "from" point in PP first, then the "to" point. Enabling the gripper and using "user selected" origin in inspector having deselected the host, you can place it using the PP entry, reselect the host and use the gripper and data box to orient it. Sounds clunky to describe, but I think it's quite easy once you're familiar, and consistent with the Punch philosophy of competence with minimal tool clutter on screen.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 1, 2019 5:51:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked murray for this useful post.
carsten  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 6:55:25 AM(UTC)
carsten

Thanks UGMENTALCASE Thanks murray

to be honest murray - i could not follow you along ;-) so yes your right sound clunky. Are you aware if there is any tutorial video or something like that showing your methode on screen? This would help realy understanding how to proceed (even i´m not sure if the philosophy of less clutter of tools ist the right one if a all day operation positioning objects in space is that complicated :-).

But thanks to you all helping me out to find out more in the shark universe ;-)
Have a great day!
Carsten
rockyroad_us  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 12:26:09 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
When ever you grab a part, the gripper shows up. Move the mouse to the center of the gripper and it will read "origin" and just drag to the world 0, 0, 0. Alternatively, if you have 3D printer commands, you can use the center command to place it near z=0 at the origin.

Edited by user Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:58:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: wrong label and misspelling

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thanks 1 user thanked rockyroad_us for this useful post.
carsten  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 2:17:25 PM(UTC)
carsten

Originally Posted by: rockyroad_us Go to Quoted Post
When every you grab a part, the gripper shows up. Move the mouse to the center of the gripper and it will read "origin" and just drag to the world 0, 0, 0. Alternatively, if you have power pack, you can use the center command to place it near z=0 at the origin.

Thanks for that tip - seems it is for me some sort of workaround but i'm not very happy that there is no nummerical solution. Ok you wrote i could use the center command. Even i own Power Pack Pro i could not find that. Can you tell me where to search for it ?
Thanks in advance!
Carsten
jdi000  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 2:23:29 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Carsten

Please try the precision point tool. I believe this is want you are looking for you can numerically enter points relative polar etc. The tool is in the top of the interface and looks like round crosshair.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
thanks 2 users thanked jdi000 for this useful post.
carsten on 1/2/2019(UTC), specktech on 6/4/2021(UTC)
carsten  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 2:36:22 PM(UTC)
carsten

Thanks jdi000
i tried that but could not figure out how to place an object - say a solid box drawn anywhere in space to a specified X/Y/Z position - say to place the bottom of the box to Z=+2
I thought these are absolute values in space that might be set within the precision drawing tool but it seems they are not as entering these values in Absolute mode World XYZ changes nothing on my object.
So i thought i might have not understand this tool. As i came from Autocad, 3DS Max it was that easy - pick an object enter absolute coordinates and boom it was positioned related to ist object definition point (object origin).
Thanks for your help!!
have a great day!
Carsten
UGMENTALCASE  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 4:13:21 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

I believe its all work arounds. One way or another to snap, one axis at a time to the correct location. As another option for this you can set up a file that has a point at xyz 0, and at xy 0 z 110 or whatever it was, and then when you work on the z110 plane, use the snaps so anything you do doesn't go past the plane.
Similarly you could build it on xyz standard planes (around 0) select everything, and when the gripper shows up click the arrow at the end of the z direction arrow and type in the new z value and it'll move everything up. Or go to preferences and set the 'nudge value' to 110 (or whatever) and then you when you click the arrow, you just hit the arrow button on the keyboard and it'll move that predefined amount in the preferences.

Plenty or work around ways but I don't think there is anything direct.
thanks 2 users thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
carsten on 1/2/2019(UTC), specktech on 6/4/2021(UTC)
murray  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:28:54 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I want to move an object somewhere. Select it, invoke move, either snap to a feature - any feature in the drawing - OR enter the coordinates of the "from" point in the precision point entry boxes and hit the enter button. Then enter the coordinates of the "to" point and hit enter, then close the PP box. The object moves on the vector described. You say that in 3DS Max you "pick an object". I have no idea how you think you achieve precision when you "pick an object". In PunchCAD you're picking a feature, which can be on the object or anywhere else, by either snapping to it, or by using precision point to define the coordinate of the point in space. Shark and VC offer what you say you want. It's not surprising that it doesn't work exactly like another program, or that you or Ugmental case find it different and unfamiliar to whatever else you're familiar with. The guides don't spoonfeed you with every use case of every tool, but maybe try more than one attempt to do what I've explained instead of complaining that my description is poor. Good luck.
Workarounds? What do you mean by "direct"? How is precision point not "direct"?

Edited by user Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:31:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: frustration

thanks 1 user thanked murray for this useful post.
UGMENTALCASE  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:55:20 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Wow, someone got out the wrong side of bed.
What I'm saying is, a part you make in Viacad, won't have its own axis system, so to speak, you can't snap axis systems together. Fairly simple comment.
If you have a load of geometry, it's not as simple as select and move it, because the geometry doesn't necessarily move with it, unless you select it all. And I've had issue when you come to rotate and it goes tits up. Again fairly simple comment.
Then you can't use the magnet to move from point to point, works on faces. Fairly simple comment.
So if there's any additional alignment, you can't just snap it in, you WORK AROUND not being able to just snap it in, by doing other things.

Precision point is a point, what if he needs to snap a point in, but the rest needs to swing round an angle to align? You WORK AROUND it by using other features.

I can only imagine that the moves want to be done in the slickest way possible, without loads of extra bits. This to me would be each part has an axis and you snap them together? One move job done, but we don't have that feature, I'm not moaning about not having that feature, I'm providing additional ways of doing the task.

thanks 2 users thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 1/2/2019(UTC), specktech on 6/4/2021(UTC)
rokoko  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 9:38:01 AM(UTC)
rokoko

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: carsten Go to Quoted Post
... i could use the center command. Even i own Power Pack Pro i could not find that. Can you tell me where to search for it ?

afaik as of version 10 the "position" tool has moved into the window menu in basic versions, not in powerpack. you can try as follows:
rokoko attached the following image(s):
3dprinttools.png (64kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
position.png (109kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
positionresult.png (102kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
viacad pro 10 powerpackpro, viacad pro 9 german, mac
thanks 3 users thanked rokoko for this useful post.
GARLIC on 1/2/2019(UTC), carsten on 1/2/2019(UTC), specktech on 6/4/2021(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 11:49:24 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Yeah that's mesh only isn't it? You have a couple of options, centre, optimal packaging and something else I think. It's all based on what 3d printer you have selected
carsten  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 11:54:03 AM(UTC)
carsten

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
I want to move an object somewhere. Select it, invoke move, either snap to a feature - any feature in the drawing - OR enter the coordinates of the "from" point in the precision point entry boxes and hit the enter button. Then enter the coordinates of the "to" point and hit enter, then close the PP box. The object moves on the vector described.

Thanks for the clear description. Seems i might be silly but i do not like more an more features in the entity so i do not like the move tool as in my opinion this is a transform in space not on an object. Ok seems working with other concepts before is not always a good thing to learn something new.

You say that in 3DS Max you "pick an object". I have no idea how you think you achieve precision when you "pick an object".

So happy to give you an idea outside of punch universe :-). YOu just pick an object and every object has its "Gizmo" - something like the gripper. You can place that to any geometrical point that you like on the object. Now this is simply the reference point of the object and the gizmo works like an object coordinate system. Now you can enter in a relative or an absolute entry box the value of X/Y/Z and angle you want the object to move to. Slowly i get an understanding that things in Shark Cad are nearly the same but i did not figure it out till now :-)

In PunchCAD you're picking a feature, which can be on the object or anywhere else, by either snapping to it, or by using precision point to define the coordinate of the point in space. Shark and VC offer what you say you want.

Yes but i did not found out how :-)

It's not surprising that it doesn't work exactly like another program, or that you or Ugmental case find it different and unfamiliar to whatever else you're familiar with.

Seems that is always a typical thing if you work for 20 years with a product and have to change within a few days. Sure it will come to you on one day as well ;-)

The guides don't spoonfeed you with every use case of every tool, but maybe try more than one attempt to do what I've explained instead of complaining that my description is poor. Good luck.
It was you writing that the discription you gave sounds clunky and i repeated this as i could not follow it as i just did not want these move features. Now i understand it better. If you don´t like spoon feeding it might be a better idea not to help "a baby to come to life". Anyway i want to say thanks as it clearified now for me the procedure even as UGMENTAL wrote - there are several circumstands that do not work straight forward and have to be worked around. But i don't think we should discuss that in deep as the main strategy is now clear.

Thanks for that.
carsten  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 12:04:37 PM(UTC)
carsten

Originally Posted by: rokoko Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: carsten Go to Quoted Post
... i could use the center command. Even i own Power Pack Pro i could not find that. Can you tell me where to search for it ?

afaik as of version 10 the "position" tool has moved into the window menu in basic versions, not in powerpack. you can try as follows:

Thanks rokoko!
That also works well but just for solids or meshes. But even a fast way to achive what i needed.
Thanks for your effort!

Carsten
carsten  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 12:06:46 PM(UTC)
carsten

Thanks folks for your help - seems i know can move objects in space to a place i want them to be with all your help!
Apriciate that!
Carsten
rokoko  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:15:52 PM(UTC)
rokoko

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 45 post(s)
there is one more interesting tool in SharkCAD Pro only:
the command
File -> Reference -> Set Attach Point
provides a method to 1) specify the attach point and 2) assign a dedicated coordinate system to a specific object as well
viacad pro 10 powerpackpro, viacad pro 9 german, mac
thanks 2 users thanked rokoko for this useful post.
carsten on 1/4/2019(UTC), specktech on 6/4/2021(UTC)
carsten  
#20 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 1:49:37 AM(UTC)
carsten

Thanks folks for your help - seems i know can move objects in space to a place i want them to be with all your help!
Apriciate that!
Carsten