logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tim Olson  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2019 5:04:13 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 496 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Congratulations to Shark user Bob Parks who was recently honored as the 2019 AIAA Aircraft Design Award Recipient "for a lifetime of novel and innovative aircraft designs including multiple prototypes and one of the current DARPA X-Planes".

https://www.aiaa.org/Hon...d-45d5-b638-bf243c213a0f

Bob is a long time user of Shark and AeroPack. He was one of our first users. Another name on that AIAA list is Dr Jan Roskam, whose company DARcorporation funded the early development of AeroPack.

Tim

Edited by user Saturday, March 2, 2019 1:11:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
MPSchmied  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2019 12:06:01 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
The link is broken, but i found the error and fixed the link: https://www.aiaa.org/Hon...d-45d5-b638-bf243c213a0f
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
murray  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:42:37 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Congrats, Tim, another prominent user endorsement from someone with stature. I see that Ashlar are still claiming Burt Rutan on their site, although I remember you saying that he was retiring with Shark and Aeropack. Hmm, Mr. Parks is knowledgeable about ducted fans. I wonder if there's any advantage in using ducts for quadcopters? Aerial photography is a current hobby of mine. There were a couple of experimental US Army Air Corp/Air Force hover aircraft that were ducted fans more-or-less fitted with seats, Moller's SkyCar had quad ducted fans with rotary engines, and there's someone in Christchurch, New Zealand who's developing a ducted-fan jetpack-style personal flyer. Quadcopters generally have guards for the props, a duct could do that, too.

I'm CAD jockey for a guy who's building a plane, but although he persuaded me to do an AutoCAD course that he'd taken two decades and some back, he never progressed in CAD himself. Although he was designing eight-metre diameter commercial satellite dishes, he's been resolutely 2D until now. It's like it's never occurred to him what parametrics and 3D modelling can do over a paper drawing, a guy on Youtube flashes the occasional SW screenshot at him and he has a lightbulb moment! His design is inspired a bit by Rutan's, a bit by Piaggio's Avanti executive turboprop, and a bit by another guy who's productionising a canard he calls Raptor on YouTube. We'll see...We've nothing much to show for our efforts yet, a mold for a canard wing with FFF 3D printed tip molds, planning the carbon fibre layout now. I wanna sticker it over with wool tufts and video the flow, put it on a pylon on his truck's flatbed and take a few runs up and down the road, see how much downforce it adds, not to mention cred with the street machine crew.

Edited by user Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:44:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified