logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:37:31 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Would it ever be a possibility to have excel-spreadsheet linked shark models? Where parts lists were integrated inside of shark as excel documents?

Or is there already a way of doing this that I don't know of?

I find that making mistakes is easier transposing data between excel and my actual shark geometry. It would be nice to update in one (preferrably shark) and update the internally-linked spreadsheet...

Would make BOMs much easier and more accurate to create and edit.

Any thoughts?
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:46:52 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Preferably, NOT just as excel, even though many apps will import excel and convert it to other formats. I don't know what format the VCP/Shark data are in internally, but I would imagine it can be exported to xls, csv, tab delimited, dbf, 1-2-3, or even calc (openoffice.org) IFFFFF Tim and crew want it to. I tend to find that xls (as with word) can be hoggingly bloated stuf to have data in.

Neutrality or .dbf as well as 3 flavors of spreadsheets, please. For those of us who maximize use of databases over spreadsheets, we find databases (regard) to offer the advantage of managing data over crunching numbers. When we construct reports and queries, it is quite crucial for us to keep data and the app separate (the sheet/forms/tables separate from the actual values put in) to avoid wrecking date by act of deleting a column or the like.

Actually, if VCP/Shark offer export filters/options for odbc, .dbf, xls, and open office.org, at a minimum, fairness, flexibility, and portability can be carried on for several years to over a decade wthout worrying about what excel won't support 3 years on.