logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jol  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:32:29 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can the Split tool be modified to allow for multiple splits ?

I often want to slice up an object into "stations" (boat talk)

How about it Tim .. it takes forever to split a hull 40 times !
jol attached the following image(s):
split multiple.png (86kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:18:13 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I'd like to follow up and chime in on that.

I would like to trim the deck (solid) with the surface of the sideshell (surface, not the solid of the sideshell) that existes between each major transverse bulkhead. But i have multiple (12). Between each MTBH, there can be 15-25 stations/frames (lines spaced 2 feet apart). These stations lengths are over 50 feet, running from the centerline of the keel, around any chine or curvature, then up to the freeboard deck.

I create the fore and aft boundaries of a deck surface dependent upon the distance from bulkhead face to bulkhead face. I then create decks of desired thickness between lines. I suppose i *could* start at the centerline and project the surface to the inside of the shell (ship's skin) but when i need to thicken the surface, i don't think the thickness will conform to the angle/direction. I could project lines, select them and thicken them, but it gets tedious, so....

For convenience, I create surfaces between 5, 6, 7 or 8 stations lines. I select the first, then shift select the subsequent in order of direction. I change colors of each group so i can monitor where i am. I do this so i can create smaller and quicker-to-thicken solids. I then stitch the surfaces together and use the resultant, single surface to trim the decks. I do this between each main transverse bulkhead. I then mirror to port side what is on starboard.

This brings up ... Can mirror be smarter? If i set up a symmetrical model with corresponding layers, i'd like to have the layer name (with it's counterpart id, say from a user-defined coordinate/mirror list) be in the logical part/layer order. So, if i mirror items from any given, structured layer from "HH Starboard sideshell 18mm pl"/"Starboard Deck, Main", i'd like the resulting items/parts to be "HH Port sideshell 18mm pl"...."Port Deck Main".

This implies that the layer by layer, the name is inspected and it's logical (preassigned coordinate/mirror) name is automatically assigned. This could work for anything having a left/right mirror or an upper/bottom mirror. It would alleviate/obviate the need to inspect each mirrored item, change the layer, etc.... This would be useful in dense models that take 3 minutes to save, or 40 seconds to display or turn off layers....

To properly break off excess material running from centerline out past the side shell. I use the break tool to get rid of material i don't need.

Back on point...

It would be nice if a chain select of continuous/contiguous solids-cutting/trimming surfaces could be permitted. Then, the initial groups surfaces won't need to be stitched/joined. Ideally, it would even be possible to have jagged cuts of a plate, say, if an adjacent surface were missed or intentionally left out. This would imply that projections would enter the calculations and a large plate cut by surfaces might have a "finger" jutting out, but an elegant fix or assist could be a near-final intermediate state that presents the "fingers" and asks the user whether this is intentional, or whether the finger/s should be retro-incorporated into trim/split and then removed.
jol  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:33:12 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Good luck with that ZLC !
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:57:20 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
hehehehe hehehehehe