logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blowlamp  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:23:17 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

The more I use the Gripper the more I like it!

One feature I appreciate is how you can simply click on one of its elements and enter a number in the Data Entry Box to achieve a scale or rotation etc, without the need to actually drag anything yet still get an exact transformation.

My suggestion:
Because the Gripper can be placed anywhere and in any orientation in 3D space, it becomes a very powerful foundation for other operations.
So, if having clicked on one of the Gripper elements, such as Scale, we can allow the next two mouse clicks to define the start point and end point of the function, it becomes possible to determine the scale factor we require.
If used in conjunction with the snap points on existing geometry, it would make the operation simple and exact.

If this could be implemented for all the Gripper functions, then rotations and translations would become very easy to do where say the numeric angle isn't known, but it is important for something to be aligned with reference to another part.
In addition, it should become easier to do off-workplane transformations to make it even more versatile.

Martin.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:38:43 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Awesome suggestion!
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:18:01 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Another thought on this one :D

Have the option for the Gripper to snap to a surface normal and orientate itself accordingly.

This would make aligning objects onto surfaces easier, I think.

Martin.