logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:07:03 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi,

I am (as some of you know) drawing in VCP a ship i designed on paper.

REQUEST ONE

I would like to be able to select a layer and apply an immutable (at least, not directly changed by VCP just because mass or color or trimming changes occur) name that i can rely on to change only if *I* change it for editing or deletion reasons. I observed that VC (at least last year) changed the item names and nullified usability for ongoing work. This internal object name changing might be find for models with small parts, but it's nightmarish when trying to locate something by name as opposed to combing CGs, weights, or such.

Explanation for Request One:

I have numerous layers, and so far the major ones i'm dealing with at the moment are:

-- Decks
-- Girders
-- Deck Stringers/Stiffeners
-- Sideshell Stringers/Stiffeners
-- Deck Transverse (stiffeners)

... and there are some 450 solids just for those. I will generate reports, charts, and tables from this information.

I've created solids for these shapes/profiles and obtained mass properties and dumped the BOM.

I'm finding that while i can easily manipulate the fields in a spreadsheet and database, it's not the case in VC 2D/3D / VCP.

Possible feature:

Maybe an empty column can be presented and the user can ad-hoc enter a working name for the column header, and then copy/paste into successive or selected rows the management/handling name for those items/parts.

---------

REQUEST TWO

I would like that on BOM export or creation, that there be an automatic presentation of Layer Name with include/exclude check box.

Explanation for Request Two:

If a selection of objects being dumped to tables has a lot of involved layers they end up getting lost in the clutter.

--------

Thanks!
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 2:44:46 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi.

I'd like to reiterate a request that exported BOMs have by default an object name that is the layer name. Internally, for garbage collection and other purposes, some hidden numeric or programmatic name can be retained, but it should NOT be the primary name dumped to the BOM.

My layers have many nested and sub-nested layers, some for construction purposes, some to contain surfaces, and some to contain entities with mass/centers/moments that i need to track. No matter what edits (cuts/trims/breaks/holings) i make on a part, it should retain it's master name i assign -- unless i completely delete the object and acknowledge that it is gone unless a new object is created on that layer.

After exporting a BOM, i find i have to