logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 11:47:11 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Quadranter/Quadrantor.... part rotate/mirror tool.

I was recently doing some slicing and dicing of a portion of my hull.

I created a solid from two faces, and found it fairly more convenient than some other hackneyed steps i devised before. It led to my insertion of a sphere to remove solid content so i could get volume and weight properties of the resulting part.

That led me to splitting the model area and rotating the two splits about a vertical line so i could "see inside" when i couldn't figure out how to make the cutting plane do that. That led to deep select and face coloring, which i learned without internal resistance.

This in turn led to trial and error on the spread/openness of the part being viewed. Since i randomly would forget to use or not use the "-" sign to change the relative angle for each part about the vertical reference, i though there has to be a way for everyone to enjoy doing this.

Hence, i have an idea for a tool: a "splitting nudging" tool. After splitting a part based on an axis or reference, the tool would allow or instruct the user to select quadrants or areas to assign selected parts/geometry to and assign initial "referential" colors to aid in seeing the splits (but not changing the previously-assigned colors).

After each split it referentially colored and "quandranted" (hey, call the tool "Quadrantor"/"Quadrenter"), the axes can glow or blink or dash up, then the QTool tells the user to grab some point and just swing the part open or closed, but not allowing the parts to interfere (so as to save time on any ACIS/VC redraw/recals due to overlaps or such with the geometry.)

I suppose this would be like the door/walls/windows tool, except it would be geared toward multi-splits and the swings of parts. It might have subconsciously been influenced by my limited use of ACAD 2010, but there are numerous analogues in the real world, such as gimbals and turret azimuthal/elevation training rings on gun mounts. These existed way back into the early naval warfare days, battlefields, and even in aircraft and factories and on construction vehicles, I think even a few video games had/have similar functionality for user enjoyment. So, applying it to ViaCAD should not create (I hope) any patent issues.