logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:58:12 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
With the move from OS X 10.5 to 10.6 Snow Leopard several legacy applications will no longer work as there will be no support for the Power PC code that they are based on.

I have CAD files going back to the mid 90's sitting on my hard drive, thousands that were created in Vellum 2D / Graphite and thankfully way less in Vellum Solids, Cobalt and early versions of Concepts Unlimited. The Concepts files are I think safe in that they will open in Shark, but the Vellum, Vellum Solids and Cobalt files are not. Here is what I am doing.

Vellum 2D + Graphite 2D files
Convert to DXF / DWG

Vellum Solids + Cobalt files
Convert to ASICS SAT

I am using an old copy of Cobalt V6 and Graphite V7 that still runs to do the conversion, but it is unlikely that either of these application will even launch once I have upgraded to 10.6 Snow Leopard.

EDIT
Correction

Rosetta which is required to open PPC based applications is an optional part of the 10.6 install, so you will be able to open these old apps, but only for as long as Rosetta is around. In other words, it is likely to be gone by the time we get to 10.7 so if you want the data you still have some time to do the transfer.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
tmay  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:24:25 PM(UTC)
tmay

Somewhere around, I still have my key for Vellum Solids, but long since offed all of the files. Still, for people that need such things, here is a System 9 emulator.

http://theappleblog.com/2006/07...courtesy-of-sheepshaver/

I figure someone will extend Rosetta to run under OS X 10.6, but in the worst case, someone could make a little green running translations for people with legacy files, but without legacy hardware/software.

the other tom