logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
awieneke  
#21 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 2:44:34 AM(UTC)
awieneke

maybe it is interesting, that the members in this forum, who like, make a linke on their site e.g. : 'built with ViaCad' or so.
And they will get the next update a little % less.
jol  
#22 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:19:23 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I see again the 3D CAD news on Core77

.. Alias, check
.. Inventor, check
.. SolidWorks, check
.. ProE, check
.. Rhino, check

.. Shark / ViaCAD, no show !!
L. Banasky  
#23 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:11:12 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Here's another missed opportunity, 3dconnexion's website. CAD programs that I've never heard of before, and Shark is still missing, but Punch! is on the page.
Larry
http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/cad/all_sup_app.php
L. Banasky attached the following image(s):
Missed another oppurtunity.jpg (117kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
willc2  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:50:57 PM(UTC)
willc2

Quote:
I was told by someone here on the list, after I mentioned a list of CAD companies on Wikipedia (Shark was not on the list ), that I could update the wikipedia page- but why should I? The marketing guys should be doing that right?

Wikipedia strongly discourages members of a company from updating entries that are about themselves. This is to keep it from becoming a giant sales brochure.
jol  
#25 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:00:18 AM(UTC)
jol

OK .. Added Shark entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co...omparison_of_CAD_Editors

I also wrote to Carl Alviani at Core 77
posh.de  
#26 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:55:21 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 36 post(s)
not to forget the #1 CAD News-Letter (and more) from [URL="http://www.upfrontezine.com/"]upFront.eZine[/URL].

Norbert
tmay  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:37:13 PM(UTC)
tmay

ttrw  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:53:00 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I very much get the feeling that despite CSI being bought up by Punch Software a while ago (visions of moving into a skyscraper punching up through the clouds and heavens......), Tim is still very much a one-man band operating from Wisconsin, USA. Am I right? This would explain the slow progress on the PR stuff, (me thinks).

So I guess it's up to us eh? The users and the fans, to get out there and do the work instead (nice one you guys!). But I do know your frustrations folks, but these Punch beasts have really come on in the last couple of years (since the acquisition), so full marks there!

Dassault Systemes is a stones throw away from my office (I walk past Dassault every day). The people who work there drive nice big cars (probably all designed with their software too!). We're up against the big players- and life can be really tough sometimes :(

Keep up the good work Tim! :) (It's nice hearing your calm voice on those YouTube vids too!).

Tom
ttrw  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:13:43 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good old Architosh are still flying the flag too!;

http://architosh.com/2008/08/viacad-2d3d-v6-now-shipping/

Anthony Frausto-Robledo has always, in my humble opinion, been an all-round good chap. :D
markb57  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:00:02 PM(UTC)
markb57

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post

Anthony Frausto-Robledo has always, in my humble opinion, been an all-round good chap. :D

I very much agree - I think he truly has the interests of the user at heart.

have fun!
markb
tmay  
#31 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 1:03:26 PM(UTC)
tmay

http://www.macnn.com/articles/0...hark.lt.cad.suite.ships/

macnn gets lots of hits...and with lots of gratuitous CAD pron in the article...

couldn't be better.

tom
jdi000  
#32 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 1:37:16 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
http://www.macnn.com/articles/0...hark.lt.cad.suite.ships/

macnn gets lots of hits...and with lots of gratuitous CAD pron in the article...

couldn't be better.

tom

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The software is aimed mainly at generating 3D models, but is also used to produce related 2D drawings, which can be generated automatically for items such as section and detail views. These can then be imported into apps more suited to 2D editing, such as Illustrator.
I don't understand this comment about 2d editing of sections and detail views easier in Illustrator, did this person even try to edit a 2d view in Shark? Why would I want to move a section view or detail view into AI to edit??? It would be a lot slower to do anything with that type of drawing view in AI.

The Shark/ViaCAD 2d drawing/editing/dimensioning tools are great for most 2d work. I don't think that the 2d side of Shark/ViaCAD gets enough credit or publicity, it is a very good 2d drawing package for technical drawings , illustrations, etc. Sure as others have mentioned it could use some enchancements and refinements in some of the 2d tools but it is very good as it stands now just wish it could get a little more publicity.

Good to see the article though.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
ZeroLengthCurve  
#33 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 2:13:28 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
For a moment i thought this was related to "ships", thanks to the URL. But... still, the image is NICE....
tmay  
#34 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 2:19:52 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The software is aimed mainly at generating 3D models, but is also used to produce related 2D drawings, which can be generated automatically for items such as section and detail views. These can then be imported into apps more suited to 2D editing, such as Illustrator.
I don't understand this comment about 2d editing of sections and detail views easier in Illustrator, did this person even try to edit a 2d view in Shark? Why would I want to move a section view or detail view into AI to edit??? It would be a lot slower to do anything with that type of drawing view in AI.

The Shark/ViaCAD 2d drawing/editing/dimensioning tools are great for most 2d work. I don't think that the 2d side of Shark/ViaCAD gets enough credit or publicity, it is a very good 2d drawing package for technical drawings , illustrations, etc. Sure as others have mentioned it could use some enchancements and refinements in some of the 2d tools but it is very good as it stands now just wish it could get a little more publicity.

Good to see the article though.

Jason

Jason,

My perspective is that there really isn't any significant difference in the primary capabilities of Shark/SW/ProE and AutoCAD drawing modes, so I'm thinking that the article is speaking to technical illustrations from 2D, but my guess is as good as anyone's.

tom
jdi000  
#35 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 2:45:57 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
Jason,

My perspective is that there really isn't any significant difference in the primary capabilities of Shark/SW/ProE and AutoCAD drawing modes, so I'm thinking that the article is speaking to technical illustrations from 2D, but my guess is as good as anyone's.

tom

Tom

I would put Shark/Viacad ahead of SW/ProE and other 3d modelers for drafting/2d sketch capability for quite a few reasons but a big one is you can't do drawings unless you have a 3d model first in all the typical 3d modelers. This is why Shark/ViaCAD is so powerful, 3d plus 2d features. Really the only 2 reasons AutoCAD is better for 2d/Arch/drafting is Shark/ViaCAD is missing xref, and editable block references this would be huge advantage to get these in place even if it would first be for 2d items only. and second Shark/ViaCAD slows down when you have a large 2d layout but the block and xref could help with this. Other than those two I would rate Shark/ViaCAD much better to use than AutoCAD for 2d work. I know Shark/ViaCAD core was built with 3d modeling as the primary focus, but the 2d side is way way underated. Just my 2 cents.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jol  
#36 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 5:36:16 PM(UTC)
jol

Yep .. Guys .. I think you're onto something

Illustrator is by FAR the most valued ID computer tool

http://www.core77.com/blog/tech...trial_designer_11788.asp

Because VC/Shark use the Adobe UI paradigm .. If Tim could get the 2D splines working and looking more beautiful .. Illustrator users who haven't transitioned comfortably to CAD would be there for the picking !

.. & I'm pretty sure there's heaps of those
grahamdesign  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:09:27 PM(UTC)
grahamdesign

Man
United States

Have a look at this pdf capture of the Apple web site download area. You'd think the marketing folks at Punch might have a go at this? Does Ashlar have that much more pull/input/money than Punch? What am I/we missing?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/
File Attachment(s):
Apple - Downloads.pdf (588kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Brian Graham
Mac OS Ventura 13.6.3
Mac mini Apple M1
16GB
1TB SSD
Shark FXv 14 Build 1641
jol  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:36:50 PM(UTC)
jol

Ashlar always were good at publicizing themselves

Sadly, Punch have always been 100% clueless in this regard

Unfortunately marketing sells stuff .. and clueless people seldom have any idea they are clueless

We've been banging on for years and the best they can do .. ? .. a Punch Halloween Spamorama special

Clue-LESS
ZeroLengthCurve  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:44:14 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Even if i were interested in Cobalt, i am not in a position to pony up $159 a month to them. Plus, I want to see ViaCAD/VC Pro or Shark grow/extent. If VC Pro/Shark were "rented" at $80/month til paid off, I think i could do that. It would leave me room to upgrade my damaged laptop, upgrade software, and become a tad more productive.

But, I REALLY wanna see xrefs in VC/Shark so i can offload file bloat. I've actually started in that direction, tho, by copying 12 times a file i needed to purge of space-consuming surfaces and solids. Now, the single some-140MB file is ~ 12 files of ~45 MB. Still, as i detail those, they'll again be each some ~100 MB... So, xrefs would be quite useful.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:46:40 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

With their slogan, "Software that works the way you think", they just might be bought by Tim and crew, hehehe