logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ALBANO  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:48:51 AM(UTC)
ALBANO

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Id like to suggest that when selecting the list that appears when many objects /surfaces lie over each other the list shall be ordered according to the position.
That means the first under the mouse pointer is the first in the list and the last is the last in the list! When selecting gets slow due to big models or many parts selecting could get MUCH easier that way.

:-)

ALBAN
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:48:38 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Me, too. (You beat me to this....). Sometimes, i end up having to use the object filter and use colors to screen out things on a layer with numerous parts that i don't want to hide, yet which are part of a layer with many adjacent parts....
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 1:01:48 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you don't mind me saying (and I mean no grief), although a great idea, the actual routine could be really hard to implement in software (although not totally impossible). The routine may also really slow the software down even more (unless of course some super streamlining could be done- which somehow I doubt). However a list that is permanently visible, and turns to bold when the mouse moves over those parts may be far easier to implement? (and is something I too, have been hoping for).
NickB  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 12:24:33 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
On large models that I am working on for weeks, I try to name parts in either the object info box, or the part history. Its a pain to do, but saves a lot of this guessing. The other big advantage is that when you export to SAT or STEP for a client all the parts have names that make sense rather than recieving a thousand parts called part_randomNumber.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 1:03:23 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
On large models that I am working on for weeks, I try to name parts in either the object info box, or the part history. Its a pain to do, but saves a lot of this guessing. The other big advantage is that when you export to SAT or STEP for a client all the parts have names that make sense rather than recieving a thousand parts called part_randomNumber.

Tim, this really needs looking into- even having the entity renamed corresponding to whatever layer its on would really be a step in the right direction. :)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 1:49:29 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
But, if a program can know the direction of the observer's chair or display positioning, and responds to a pan/zoom instruction and then nicely presents the shadowing or translucency, i would imagine that it can know the x,y,z range from the screen so it can order the presentation in the ambiguity popup.

It might be really cool, tho, if the layers can be renamed from the object filter as well as from the object properties dialong and if the object info dialog could be widenable. I've got some exacting if not wonky layer names, and i can't see all of them without altering their names to separate them, or by changing colors to be sure i won't have to go back and re-edit a part i accidentally (carelessly?) changed.
NickB  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2009 4:39:13 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
. . . and if the object info dialog could be widenable. I've got some exacting if not wonky layer names, and i can't see all of them without altering their names to separate them, or by changing colors to be sure i won't have to go back and re-edit a part i accidentally (carelessly?) changed.

Are you sure that the Layers and History panels can not be widened in ViaCad ?

This is so basic that I would find it hard to imagine that it was disabled in ViaCad.

Have you tried hand editing the ViaCadDialogs.ini file ? - In CU this is called CUDialogs.ini and is located (mac) in the Punch! folder within user/Library/Preferences. I cant remember where it is on Windows, but hunt around and you will find it.

Below is a screenshot of the Concept Explorer section of the Dialogs.ini file that gives the wide window that I have shown.
NickB attached the following image(s):
wideLayers.png (53kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
ExplorerEdit.png (21kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
billbedford  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 1:43:14 AM(UTC)
billbedford

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Are you sure that the Layers and History panels can not be widened in ViaCad ?

Of course it can, at least on a Mac. There is a grow box in the bottom right hand corner of each window. It is part of the Quartz interface and so is more or less unversal.