logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Craig  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 1:47:17 AM(UTC)
Craig

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
When I buy software I do not want to be held ransom by a companies registration process. I have paid for the software, it is mine and having to register after new builds or when I wipe my hard drive and reinstall the software is not on.
What happens if I am on location and have to wipe my hard drive and reload the software but there is no Internet access or if the software company closes down?
A software vendor that I use for web design and artistic software used to use the same method as Punch but after a number of us customers stopped buying their product they started putting the code in the box with the DVD.
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 9:58:51 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I think is an isolate problem.
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
Craig  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2010 12:56:26 PM(UTC)
Craig

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jean-Francois Jacques Go to Quoted Post
I think is an isolate problem.

Let me ask you this, if the makers of the software went out of business, you buy a new computer and you load your Shark product onto it, how would you activate the software?
jol  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2010 4:26:32 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm not sure you ever own it Craig. My understanding is that you license it.
Bob La Londe  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:48:32 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have this problem now. I do not think it is isolated at all. I would like to remove ViaCad from the accounting computer on my desk and install it on the working CAD/CAM computer I have out in the shop. None of my shop computers will EVER go on the office network. I have a variety of reasons. If you understand them great, if not or disagree fine, but the simple FACT IS my computers in the shop will NEVER go on the Internet as long as I own them.

What do I do?

It is NOT an isolated problem unless you meant isolated to Punch software.

None of my other software currently in use has that problem that I have not been able to find a work around for.

As to "its licensed" does that mean the license expires? I sure hope not.

And its nice to know I can finally post on the forums after all this time.

P.S. Glad I found this thread. I didn't know until right now I wasn't allowed to have computers doing perfectly good work without exposing them to the Internet if I used Punch software.

Please note this post is heavily salted with both sarcasm and irony.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
Albatrossflyer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 4:09:21 PM(UTC)
Albatrossflyer

have you even bothered to talk to punch about your situation before bitching about it?
Bob La Londe  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 6:14:13 PM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Originally Posted by: Albatrossflyer Go to Quoted Post
have you even bothered to talk to punch about your situation before bitching about it?

LOL. And yet this thread has been here since September and nobody addressed the problem for the original poster either. Atleast not here where people talk about the software. Or is this one of those fanatical zealots only forums?

:cool:
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
NickB  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 6:54:47 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Bob,
No, this is not a fanatics / fan-boy forum. If you look around you will find a lot of complaints about things that do not work, or could work better.

I am not sure that you can register the software without a net connection, as you need to put a serial number in, then the program calls home to generate a separate time sensitive registration code. There might be a way around this, but you will need to call and talk with someone in tech support who may be able to give you the numbers over the phone. Once the software is installed it will operate without a net connection. The Shark license allows you to install on multiple machines, as long as only one copy is used at a time, so you could install on one machine, clone the drive and install into a second machine. I use the same license on a laptop and desktop machine.

Best bet is call and talk to someone in tech support and explain your situation.
http://www.punchcad.com/c-26-support.aspx
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Bob La Londe  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:37:17 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Bob,
No, this is not a fanatics / fan-boy forum. If you look around you will find a lot of complaints about things that do not work, or could work better.

I am not sure that you can register the software without a net connection, as you need to put a serial number in, then the program calls home to generate a separate time sensitive registration code. There might be a way around this, but you will need to call and talk with someone in tech support who may be able to give you the numbers over the phone. Once the software is installed it will operate without a net connection. The Shark license allows you to install on multiple machines, as long as only one copy is used at a time, so you could install on one machine, clone the drive and install into a second machine. I use the same license on a laptop and desktop machine.

Best bet is call and talk to someone in tech support and explain your situation.
http://www.punchcad.com/c-26-support.aspx

I did think about the possiblity of using Norton Ghost to clone a drive, and then removing all the fluff, and adjusting for the machine it goes into. Not an optimum solution, but it is one.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
NickB  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:16:12 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bob La Londe Go to Quoted Post
I did think about the possiblity of using Norton Ghost to clone a drive, and then removing all the fluff, and adjusting for the machine it goes into. Not an optimum solution, but it is one.

Have you tried calling tech support yet ? All it will cost you is your time.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Tim Olson  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 3:05:35 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>What do I do?

Hi Bob

You can call tech support and they will help you register the software over the phone (no internet required, but they will ask you some questions).

Telephone - (800) 365-4832
Mon. - Fri. (8AM - 5PM CST)

Regards,

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
bbuxton  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2011 12:13:03 PM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I really miss the dongle that came with concepts version 1. Nothing would make me happier than for SharkFX to be tied to a hardware key again. I really, really hate the current licensing system.
Junior member since Concepts Unlimited V1 pre-release
Tim Olson  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:26:47 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bbuxton Go to Quoted Post
I really miss the dongle that came with concepts version 1. Nothing would make me happier than for SharkFX to be tied to a hardware key again. I really, really hate the current licensing system.

The dongles cost ~$50 each and unfortunately had their own set of problems. Some of our VARs still use it for large installs in universities. We're also required by some of our licensed technology (ie Dassault stuff) to have the software protected by a licensing system.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ZeroLengthCurve  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:12:19 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Craig Go to Quoted Post
Let me ask you this, if the makers of the software went out of business, you buy a new computer and you load your Shark product onto it, how would you activate the software?

Hope and pray that ALL software vendors have in place an escrow with a failsafe or trigger or dead-man-switch to enable licensed users to continually and perpetually reinstall their software. If, after a s/w company dies, there is no apparent successor, then end users should be released from licensing and IP claims. To avert that issue, the dying company should rebuild itself with fresh operating capital, or find a suitor/top partner who'll honor or improve upon prior arrangements. Grevious or crippling new impositions should be still-birthed (as a poison pill) prior to restructuring or prior to a suitor coming into play.

Nations need to make it part of annual tax filing requirments that all licensed software sold by public or large-client-base private companies MUST escrow their software and advertise that fact, and back it up with user- or public-demand of proof.