logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Remi  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:07:57 AM(UTC)
Remi

Hello

I have problems from time to time with the net surface.

Now I am doing the shape of a font fender of a car of the 30's.
As you can imagine it is "curvy" in all directions so the curves set are quite complex into the 3d spatial environment.
Doing this it happens quite often that I have error messages saying "Bad net mapping" or "Curves are not monotonic".
I have an overall understanding of what it mean but as I said there is a fairly amount of curves in it an when I get those messages it's very time consuming process to figure out which curves (or curves) that cause the problem.

Then it's here that I need your expertise to teach me how your are doing to find in the easiest way the faultly curves.

Thanks in advance.
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:28:09 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 48 post(s)
There are times the lines are not doable. There are limits. I normally break down the lines where there's symmetry and use points as a selection.

Hint: Use interpolate splines as those lines are more controllable. There are times when you split an interpolate spline you get a control point spline, which I hate. I switch it to an interpolate spline after splitting.

Maybe if you post a sample file having an error. I can tell you what might be the error.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
Remi  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:15:05 AM(UTC)
Remi

Thank you for your help, I will send you the file this afternoon, I will be please to know how you do to resolve it, Im sure you are doing trick by experience that I did not thought of. I have never use points in selection, Im not sure what you mean, is it endpoints when selecting or you actually add a point? Anyway try the file and share with me what you did.

Thanks

Also I invite others that read this post to submit their "tricks" because naturaly when we do something that is obvious to us, we consider that it's for other too.
Remi  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:20:32 PM(UTC)
Remi

This is the file, try it and let see what you found

Thanks
File Attachment(s):
Untitled 1.vcp (90kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
rockyroad_us  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:05:18 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 48 post(s)
You have several issues. The lines should intercept a point to be safe. The right side front needs work. The corners don't meet a point location. Also, the two lines that cross each other on the left side of the wheel well need to end at one of the V curves sort of making a triangle or three sided grid.

Yes, you can use a point as a u or V line. Not the points that define the lines but one that you add in space.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work