logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2009 2:31:51 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I know from experience that many do not like to ask what could be seen as a "Dumb question". I can understand at various forums asking such (as what could be deemed as a dumb question) may then make that user who asks look dumb.

My own reponce:

The only dumb question is one that is not asked. (or you get a dumb answer)

I was recently asked a question concerning a 3d poly modeler, but she said she would not ask on forum because she felt she should not, because it was (she felt) so basic. I did give her the answer. however, I actually asked the question myself on that forum to see the reponce, and no one was actually sure,... who if dumb?

Please, ask questions if unsure. I learn myself from questions as it makes me look more at the software I am using.

- Steve
Steve.M  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:03:51 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

OK,

Well I can understand if no one would like to ask what could be deemed as a "Dumb question". So I will think some up myself and then answer them.

But would that be seen as incorrect?

I am only trying to help.

- Steve
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:14:34 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I wouldn't see that as being 'incorrect'. Answer away! :)

I remember Tim once saying that those who help out in providing good deeds to the software are rewarded in copies of Shark FX! I don't know if that offer still stands, but a good tutorial is a large step in the right direction to help sell a product. ;)
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2009 3:09:08 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't see that as being 'incorrect'. Answer away! :)

Hi Tom,

If you have any thoughts on what may be helpful, then please post suggestions.

- Steve
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2009 3:27:28 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve, Nick's brilliant demo of the bicycle frame, demonstrated how the Lofted Solid tool could be used to create a bend, but a bend cannot be created (or as it seems) if I were to draw two lines with ends joining each other and then to add a fillet. Using the One Rail Sweep Solid tool won't (or doesn't seem too?) create a sweep along those segments of lines. So how could the same effect be achieved without the Lofted Solid tool (in VC 2D/3D)?

btw, I never read manuals either- unless I need to really get on top of something. The manual for VC/ Shark is IMO really bad. It so much needs more illustrations and working demonstrations.

Tom :)
Steve.M  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2009 11:20:08 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Steve, Nick's brilliant demo of the bicycle frame, demonstrated how the Lofted Solid tool could be used to create a bend, but a bend cannot be created (or as it seems) if I were to draw two lines with ends joining each other and then to add a fillet. Using the One Rail Sweep Solid tool won't (or doesn't seem too?) create a sweep along those segments of lines. So how could the same effect be achieved without the Lofted Solid tool (in VC 2D/3D)?

Hi Tom,

A sweep will work, but the fillet needs to be big enough for the pipe diameter or you will get an error of intersecting surfaces.

The problem is really the fact that the actual blend made is to 2 different diameters, so a sweep is no good to get that type of result. You would need to manually construct the blend by adding an oval then use the skin solid. I will take some screen shots to show how i would constrct that in 2d/3d.

- Steve
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2009 12:49:21 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
I will take some screen shots to show how i would constrct that in 2d/3d.

I have made a little vid. It is using xvid codec, you can download the codec for the mac http://www.xvidmovies.com/mac/

I have uploaded the file to rapidshare; http://rapidshare.com/files/241208712/pipe_blend.avi

- Steve
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2009 2:36:30 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Hey nice one Steve! :D

I'm going to be looking at that a few times now.

Thanks for the links for the codec translators too! :)

Just for the information of other Mac users, I use an app called Chroma, which although isn't free, can play mostly every format under the sun, and doesn't crash a lot like the VLC player does.

I also wonder if Tim would be willing to allow server space for any of these little tutorials submitted by forum members, to be uploaded to the Punch servers. It would definitely help. :)