logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 3:56:21 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There probably is a way, but I just can't seem to work it out. In Solidworks, one of the nicest features is simply being able to highlight any surface, and start sketching on that surface. Every time I try to do this in VC, even if I use the C key, I get unpredictable results. How can I get VC to behave in this way?

Tom :)
zumer  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 5:46:05 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You have to project the sketch onto the surface.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 10:12:10 AM(UTC)
ttrw

As in "project curve surface"?

I've had problems with this tool before, as curves work fine, but lines didn't. I'll try this again.
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 10:17:46 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Yes, just as before. Works great with curves, but not lines (a square).

(and yes billbedford, I've read the f$%^&g manual).
blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 10:57:07 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
...Works great with curves, but not lines (a square).

Would that have been a Smart Polygon?

Martin.
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 11:00:24 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Ah! Good point! :D Probably (knowing me- and still with toothache :( )
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 11:03:38 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hooray! It worked!

But how fiddly was that? Can it not be easier than this? And why is it like this way? I can't see any reason why it should be like that? Anyone want to comment?
Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 2:40:32 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

edit,

Sorry, I was thinking of simple planer sketching.
zumer  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 5:08:14 PM(UTC)
zumer

I think that being able to direct the projection vector after sketching on a normal viewpoint is simpler and more versatile than sketching onto irregular topography, but inconsistency from object to object is irritating.
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:12:33 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Yes, this inconsistency is something that is really pissing me off right now. Sometimes it works as expected, other time punching in random coordinates with the mouse, does the same thing, other times doesn't. The help menu is also too sparse to make any sense (well to me, perhaps not manual gurus such as billbedford.....:rolleyes:) :mad:
Steve.M  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:51:45 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Yes, this inconsistency is something that is really pissing me off right now.

Hi Tom,

What inconsistency, have you some examples?

The only tool I see at the moment is in the Pro (and shark) version, that is the "Spline on surface" (I have not checked Shark to look for other tools)

- Steve
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:41:43 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Perhaps inconsistency isn't quite the right word? The project curve surface tool works in a very specific way, however, this way doesn't come across to me, as one would expect. I suppose what I mean, that I would like the tool to be logical in its operation, but imho, it isn't. What I really want is for someone to show me how to use the project curve surface tool. The correct way of using it, as the manual (or internal help file) isn't exactly clear.

It's also difficult to show an example, but here is one at least, using the "select objects in workplane" tool.
ttrw attached the following image(s):
screenshot 09.png (53kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:39:24 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Tom,

I dont remember any problems with the "project curve surface" tool, but I will take another look, but first I want to put forward a note about the "Workplane -> select objects" (I did make a post to this thread about that tool, but removed it as it is only good for drawing on planer surfaces (in the context of this thread)).
When using the "Workplane -> select objects", you select an objects face, you then need to select a point, where you select the point on that surface then orients the workplane to be perpendicular(in Z) to that points surface normal (I find it very useful for drawing curves perpendicular to a curved surface without the need to be spinning the view around trying to find the correct snap). Once the surface and points are picked you need to be careful of snapping points that are not on that surface, so you need to enable the "Snaps -> Workplane" to stop snapping to points not on the workplane (you could use "Snaps-> Face on", but then you would need to manually ensure snap points not on that surface where not used).

I will have a play with the "project curve surface" tool again to see if I can find where you may be having problems.

- Steve
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:23:54 PM(UTC)
ttrw

When I get some time, I'll experiment more. I just don't have time right now to fiddle around.
Steve.M  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:47:07 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Tom,

I have still not found any real problem (up to now) with the "project curve surface" tool, however, I have found that I now automatically take some steps that may not appear obvious to all. I will put together some vids to show how I use that tool as I also use it in conjunction with the "Workplane -> select objects" (so it should help to better explain my earlier post concerning the "Workplane -> select objects" for setting to the face normal)
I will see if I can do the vids later today.

- Steve
ttrw  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:25:24 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hey Steve, you're a star.

I apologise for being someone who needs to have demonstrations when it comes to using software. I'm not the only person, I've met hundreds just like me, except I ask a lot of questions- and they don't, and consequently, give up!

When I did my degree, I became very self-conscious about this, as I asked many many questions, often asking for examples, and vowed to stop, but then my colleagues all praised me for doing this, because they weren't the type who would do that, and as a result, thanked me, because they learnt more. Much more. :)

You may find it interesting that my father was the person who inspired me to ask questions. He went to Cambridge University here in England, to study mathematics. He's now a fairly famous (within the academic mathematical circle) geometric topologist! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topology.

Asking questions is a good thing. Getting answers, is brilliant! :D
Steve.M  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:58:09 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Tom,

The first vid is just drawing on a moved workplane (for drawing on a planer surface)

Download link

The second is the "project curve surface" tool

Download link

Let me know if anything is not clear. The only bad question is the one not asked.(who said that)

This is a bit of experiment with 4shared.(Note, these are xvid again)

I have edited and made direct downloads
ttrw  
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:59:03 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Cheers Steve :)

That made pretty good sense. I think the tool is actually quite easy to use, it's just spoilt by the instruction, which is rather confusing.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:36:37 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Steve, that was GREAT! A couple of weeks ago I tried "writing" text along a convex curved surface. My efforts failed miserably. Later, i think i wrote the text "in space" and moved it and then tried to project it. Now i am thinking back to A La Mouche's (spelling?) issue, where someone suggested changing the line types of the extruded text.

I guess i did not clearly or resourcefully think about the tools on hand. Your vid is very useful. During my lunch, I will revisit my prior attempts.
Steve.M  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:46:37 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Cheers Steve :)

That made pretty good sense. I think the tool is actually quite easy to use, it's just spoilt by the instruction, which is rather confusing.

Hi Tom,

Your welcome.

I would like to see an option for the "project curve surface" tool, to be able to project from view. It could save problems related to incorrect projection direction when selecting the 2 points.

Also a note. When making the 2 point projection direction, ensure the "snap to workplane" is disabled, or the results can be quite unexpected.

- Steve