logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 9:55:43 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tim,

How difficult would it be to implement on the array functions, data input with sliders rather than typing in a number?

The present way of inputting amounts is really fiddly unless you really are on top of you maths division skills (I'm crap at division).

For example, pulling or moving a slider would increase or decrease the distance between a number of predefined points (that number could also be controlled by a slider!)

Tom
billbedford  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:28:53 AM(UTC)
billbedford

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Tim,

How difficult would it be to implement on the array functions, data input with sliders rather than typing in a number?

This may be OK if you work in inches, but is rubbish if, like me, you work in millimetres. The slider will always give you a metric equivalent of an inch number.

Quote:
The present way of inputting amounts is really fiddly unless you really are on top of you maths division skills (I'm crap at division).

ViaCAD will do the maths for you. Enter 17.5/42 in any entry box and the correct answer will be used.

There's no point in having a computer if you have to think yourself.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:20:31 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: billbedford Go to Quoted Post
This may be OK if you work in inches, but is rubbish if, like me, you work in millimetres. The slider will always give you a metric equivalent of an inch number.

A metric equivalent to an inch number? Why would it do that if it is not a bug within ViaCAD already? If you must know, I too work in millimetres!

ViaCAD will do the maths for you. Enter 17.5/42 in any entry box and the correct answer will be used.

Okay, I'll consider this, but what is the '17.5' and the '42' for? You haven't made this any easier to understand, have you? Divide these two and you get 0.4166666666666667 ??? I'm still confused :confused:

I still will champion that "doing things by eye" can be far quicker in certain situations, and I'm NOT talking about taking the data input box away completely. Solidworks uses a similar method of input with arrays, and no one complains about that, do they?

There's no point in having a computer if you have to think yourself.

Utter nonsense. The ease of use is ultimately determined by the programmer, not the user. Open the terminal sometime!. Garbage in, Garbage out ;)
blowlamp  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:23:11 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

...Okay, I'll consider this, but what is the '17.5' and the '42' for? You haven't made this any easier to understand, have you? Divide these two and you get 0.4166666666666667 ??? I'm still confused :confused:...

Tom.
I think Bill in his example (above), is saying something along the lines of, if you have a line 17.5 units in length, and you want to divide it in to 42 pieces, then rather than work out that each piece is 0.4166666666666667 units long, just let VC work it out for you by inputing 17.5/42 in the input data box. You can also mix units such as mm's and inches such as 24"+99mm, which gives you 708.6mm, which seems pretty useful to me. Have a look at Expression Parsing on page 10 onwards in the manual for more info.

Martin.
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:50:25 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Thanks Martin, that explains that a little better- a bit like the recent spring example (http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=2468).

BUT

I still think a slider is a good idea, especially when you are not too sure what the final count of amount will be (ie 42).
zumer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:52:16 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sliders in CAD remind me of an old joke: a fellow applies for a job as a quality control assessor. The employment manager passes him to the production manager, who sits him down in his office, opens a drawer in his desk and takes out a micrometer. He tells the applicant "This is a 0-25mm micrometer, +/_ accuracy of .01mm" (don't quotation marks look so wrong bracketing a "mm" figure?) The applicant whips a wooden ruler out of his back pocket, holds it up to the mike and tells the production manager, "Yep, that'd be about right..." .

I don't think traditional sliders are the right control to accomodate an infinite range of measurements, because they imply limits. They might work if they're set up in encoder style, so the point at which you're holding it governs an up or down count rate, maybe logarithmic, rather than an increment-to-distance. Instead, maybe a triangular virtual pad, the closer you are to the peak, the faster the rate of change, slower lower down. Positive or negative increments to right or left of centreline. But even something along those lines would have to be able to accomodate a wide range of user preferences regarding speed/acceleration rates. Some up/down counters already have up and down buttons that accelerate rate-of-change depending on how long you press them, but I find that sticky mouse buttons (mmm, cream buns) eliminate the possibility of precision!
Having said that, I understand the notion of individual preference, but in addition to the mathematical methods, you've got arrays for when you define the increment, and path copies to define them for you. To me sliders are tits on a bull.