logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KevinConner  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:47:13 AM(UTC)
KevinConner

>>When I have the notation set to feet and inches,
>>the shapes draw as normal, however, the notation goes all nuts.

Repeated found and fixed in 817.

Tim
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:20:27 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Kevin

Can you send us the example file to [email protected]?

>>Is there a way I can adjust the circles so they
>>have more poly lines and are thus smoother circles?

Try Edit:Change Resolution:
Super Fine
Even Distribution

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
KevinConner  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:09:48 PM(UTC)
KevinConner

Awesome, thanks Tim! I'm sending it to your email right now.

New bug report - at this size of circle diameter, even distribution makes the entire circle vanish. However, Super Fine is good enough that I don't need even distribution :D

edit: hey tim I got a mailer daemon message on your email address. Did you get my email?
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:24:20 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Originally Posted by: KevinConner Go to Quoted Post
Awesome, thanks Tim! I'm sending it to your email right now.

New bug report - at this size of circle diameter, even distribution makes the entire circle vanish. However, Super Fine is good enough that I don't need even distribution :D

edit: hey tim I got a mailer daemon message on your email address. Did you get my email?

Kevin

Try [email protected]. Can you send me the circle, would like to fix for the 817 build.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:05:38 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Twenty *MILES*... is the population of that civilisation 4 meters tall? JK.

I'm designing naval vessels, and doing the 2nd phase in ViaCAD. I start out in DelftShip, creating the hull starting with crude dots/grips until i've faired it to good power/resistance calcs, shape the main body, sonar/bulb, and add basic rudders. To avoid visual extrapolation issues, i not only create the basic 14 transverse watertight bulkheads (as "stations", with each having an offset of .625" to create fore/aft boundaries of the plate -- and, i suppose this is unnecessary as long as i correctly use VC/s surface & thicken tools) in D/S, i also create stations every foot.

... (i could use meters, but my mind thinks in feet; later i can change the units to metric and be just fine, unless this ship were REALLY going to be build in Europe or Asia, in which case, since they have plating to the .5 mm thickness, then starting out in inches would probably be an issue unless i had actual shipbuilding design software to close up things like gaps...)

Creating stations every foot gives the benefit of being able to use them as on-surface or on-3D-mesh shell stiffeners or framing structure.

Don't forget to use the BOM tools to get any weights and areas and centers if you're going to be super-detailed. Avoid selecting lines and extraneous stuff, as VC somehow gets all hung up in love with recalculating things. I end up closing the APP (not just the model) and restarting to purge symbols or memory resources the balloons and BOM tables take hold of.

For me, getting centers and weights and surface areas and volumes is important because it helps me make far more interesting presentation of my drawings that originated by paper and pencil. Using VC is tremendously fun for me, especially after ditching TurboCAD when I had earlier this year been trying to do what they refused to let TC Deluxe 14 do: Lofting/Surfacing of my hull. I figured a sort of cheat, but it was hard to produce, worked only for certain shapes/geometry, and was -- as far as i am concerned -- a travesty to exclude from the 14 deluxe product features that ViaCAD includes for a sweet, heart-warming price.

Be it known that i sit in Borders about 3 times a week giving free advertisement to Punch! because i decided i could feel comfortable doing in public what i used to do at home partly out of hermet/control-freakishness, and because doing so on paper would be rude/space-hogging, and inefficient, not to mention difficult, since a lot of my desining is interrupted by random thoughts and other distractions.
KevinConner  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:20:33 PM(UTC)
KevinConner

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Kevin

Try [email protected]. Can you send me the circle, would like to fix for the 817 build.

Tim

Awesome thx :D

let me know the second you get the email I want to make sure the file uploaded correctly for you.

Zero:

:D

Quote:
Twenty *MILES*... is the population of that civilisation 4 meters tall? JK.

lol yeah, no. They're between 72 and 124 feet tall (21.9 - 37.79 meters). 8)

Right now I'm mainly concerned with just getting a good enough representation of the city level disk that I can do the finishing touches afterwards. So currently some lines overlap and connect while other's don't yet touch. Once I get it close enough to my hand graphed representation I'll try and make some finishing touches (smoothing out the lines and connecting those which need connecting).

The most difficult thing I have found is CADding the "Star Fighters". I have so many curves in my starfighters that it's just really difficult for me to draw curves in ViaCAD. But I consider that a failing on myself in that I haven't practiced enough.

^_^

Have to jet so I can't finish reading your post but I will by tonight.
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:50:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>New bug report - at this size of circle diameter, even distribution makes >>the entire circle vanish. However, Super Fine is good enough that I don't >>need even distribution

Kevin

Repeated, found and fixed in 817. Thanks for sending the file. 817 should be out by end of week.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
KevinConner  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:31:02 PM(UTC)
KevinConner

awesome :D
thx :D
KevinConner  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:28:58 AM(UTC)
KevinConner

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>New bug report - at this size of circle diameter, even distribution makes >>the entire circle vanish. However, Super Fine is good enough that I don't >>need even distribution

Kevin

Repeated, found and fixed in 817. Thanks for sending the file. 817 should be out by end of week.

Tim

HI!

I've been waiting for some time for build 817 to come out, and have been using the auto update check feature to see if I have the newest version of ViaCAD on my computer. If build 817 has come out can you please direct me to where it or the newest version can be downloaded? All I have is build 777.
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:55:54 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Kevin, the latest build is 838 :)
KevinConner  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:33:41 PM(UTC)
KevinConner

Where do I download the latest update? I can't seem to find it and this auto update feature which checks for the most recent update says that 777 is the most recent build :(
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:11:28 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The Keystone Cops immediately spring to mind, but email Tim, and he should point you in the right direction. :)
jdi000  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:45:52 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Kevin

Like ttrw said email Tim with your serial number for ViaCAD and ask to get the latest patch.
[email protected]

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
KevinConner  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:11:06 PM(UTC)
KevinConner

[email protected] seems to be incorrect, so I sent it to another email he had told me to use a while ago.

Looking at the email again is it supposed to be [email protected] ?
jdi000  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:17:33 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Kevin

yes, now you have the correct spelling.

Jason
Windows 11, 10