logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tem  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:41:08 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi All

I am working on a project where a flat spiral feature is desired, actually a swept cut based on a flat spiral. The start and end of the spiral need to line up with separate holes. Also the pitch needs to be adjustable.

It would be very helpful to define the start point and the end point of the spiral (being able to lock those points on the hole centers), then adjust numbers and get visual feedback instantly, or nearly instantly in defining the spiral. Not sure if this is clear.

It would also be helpful to define the length of the spiral curve.
Maybe, the spiral could be based on a minimum circle and a maximum circle? Just thinking out loud...

Right now, I can't seem to find a way in SharkFX, or any other app. Its not something I normally create, so it might be my unfamiliarity with this one feature that is the issue. BTW, none of the apps I have tried have an obvious way to define a spiral this way.
Good night.
Cheers!
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 4:02:07 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tem,

It does exist (helix tool), because I've used it before to create a bolt, but I've yet to install my old copy of ViaCAD on my new Mac, having lost the s/n :o

The tool you need is hidden in the tool palette- but it is there!

Tom
go3d  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:05:53 AM(UTC)
go3d

Spiral Spline will allow you to pick the start point, then the end point and edit the pitch, length and diameter in the data entry fields.
Tem  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:11:40 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

@go3d, Thanks for your response.
I am using the numerically driven options for the spiral tool.
The OD and ID are obvious and easy to control, the pitch doesn't seem to be consistent, or maybe my newness using the feature is the issue.
For the Spiral, it seems that some of the options do not alter the spiral, like length, at least I am not able to discern any differences.
I appreciate your feedback.
Tem
go3d  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 4:45:47 PM(UTC)
go3d

Looks like this tool is really buggy...

User guide says you can pick start & finish point which is what you want.
But the prompts say (& icon implies) to pick centre and diameter. Giving you a different result.

My other observations are:
Pitch works. :)
Diameter works. :)
Length has no effect. :mad:
What is the Draft data entry field for. :confused:

I have sent in a bug report to [email protected]
Tem  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:13:18 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Draft field seems to work in creating a screw/tornado shaped curve, where it tapers to one end.
Length, if it worked would be really nice to have had.
go3d  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:30:17 AM(UTC)
go3d

Hi Tem,

I understand the need for length & draft on the helix spline which is 3D, but the spiral spline is of course 2D only.

Here is a summary (in my own words) of the response I received from tech support regarding the spiral spline:

User manual is wrong to say pick the start and end points of the spiral as it is controlled by centre point & diameter, but the icon is correct.
There should not be data entry fields appearing for length or draft on the spiral spline which is a bug.
They say they will get both these issues fixed.

My opinion is that I think the spiral spline would be improved if you could pick start and end points and then manually increase or decrease the length in a data entry field (this would change the end point but you would get instant visual feedback). I think this is close to your original suggestion? It would be useful if Tim could give us his thoughts on this.
blowlamp  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:26:06 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

The only thing I would like to add to these comments is that I'd see it as a real improvement for the Spiral line to actually terminate at its centre (as shown in the attached picture), rather than leave some arbitary distance, as it does at the moment.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
Capture.PNG (41kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.