logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blowlamp  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:03:57 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Is there any chance that the Intersect Solid tool could be given a similar function to that already available in the Subtract Solid tool, which would allow the retention of all three parts by pressing the CTRL key at the time of execution?
It would save me some fiddling about for certain jobs I do every now and again.

Martin.
misterrogers  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:41:06 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

you mean like "DIVIDE" at intersection?
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:17:32 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
you mean like "DIVIDE" at intersection?

Yes, I think that's it. I'd find it a useful addition to the toolkit for chopping up parts easily.

But after a little more investigation, I've found that the Split Solid tool does actually do this, but in a slightly more involved way. Taking 2 intersecting sphere primitives and using the Split Solid tool on them. Select the first sphere. You are then asked for a SURFACE to use for the split, but as there isn't one you should select the other (solid) sphere. Now what I was hoping for, was for VC to leave the first sphere with an impression of the second sphere in its surface, along with the split (lens shaped) part - and indeed it does. What I didn't expect was that VC would create a duplicate of the second sphere, complete with impression of the first sphere, and ALSO leave the original second sphere in place. The VC help feature gives no indication that the tool can be used with solids, or that it retains the difference between parts etc, when used as above.

Martin.
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:35:20 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post
Is there any chance that the Intersect Solid tool could be given a similar function to that already available in the Subtract Solid tool, which would allow the retention of all three parts by pressing the CTRL key at the time of execution?
It would save me some fiddling about for certain jobs I do every now and again.

Martin.

Martin

Try selecting your solids, goto to Verify --> Interference..., and check the box at bottom keep intersection solids. Is this what you are looking for?

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
interference check.PNG (9kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:49:40 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Martin

Try selecting your solids, goto to Verify --> Interference..., and check the box at bottom keep intersection solids. Is this what you are looking for?

Regards

Jason

Jason.
It isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it is something I wasn't aware of and having tried it, I think it's something that should be made a little more prominent and put with the other solid manipulation tools. With a bit of imagination you can come up with all sorts of shapes by using it. Thanks for your help.

After a bit more digging, I've found that other solids don't seem to work in the same way as spheres when weilding the Split Solid tool, and the second selected item doesn't appear to get modified in the way it would if it were a sphere :(.

So my original request still stands for a slight tweak to the Intersect Solid tool, please.

Martin.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 1:47:40 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi BL, This is EXACTLY what i experienced, and i got confused... I need to go back and see whether i was ignoring the "Keep intersection solids" option and see if i can get the empty volume to become the reverse of the surface i want...

Thanks for pointing out your post to me.
blowlamp  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 3:24:42 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

I was hoping that the Intersect Solid tool could be tweaked, to allow the production of things like the 3 parts in the lower part of the picture from the blue solids in the upper part, with just a couple of clicks. As it stands at the mo', I have to make multiple copies, dice them up and then delete what I no longer need.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
Boolean.jpg (49kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zumer  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:15:00 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
One extra copy of each will do. Intersect first, then subtract the intersect from the originals, keeping the intersection.