logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blowlamp  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:54:05 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

At the moment, we only have the option to Show All of the objects that we may have hidden under any of the headings such as Curves, Surfaces and Meshes etc. That is, if five Solids are hidden, we have to reveal them all, even if we only need to see one of them.

It would be just great if the Show All menu option could be altered to allow us to see the hidden Solids and Curves etc (as ghost images?) and then pick which ones we want to put back on display.

Martin.
mlochala  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:21:00 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Ooh, I like that idea.
NickB  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:28:58 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Doesn't it already work that way ?

http://screencast.com/t/PsYaC6MRJGG
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
blowlamp  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:54:03 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Doesn't it already work that way ?

http://screencast.com/t/PsYaC6MRJGG

I think it does actually :) Thanks for that NickB!
You know, I've never used that palette before - I think because it's tucked away from the main toolbox and I'd forgotten all about it.
It was my thought to have this in the right-click menu when I suggested it though, as it felt like a good place for it to be.

Martin.
Gary  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:59:07 PM(UTC)
Gary

I think the main feature missing in the show hide tool set is to cycle backwards. An example is:

1. I choose 10 objects and select "show only".

2. I perform some functions, choose one object and select "show only".

3. I perform some functions and now want to reshow the last 9 hidden objects, basically I want to cycle backwards. My only existing options are "show all" and reselect, or "show" and reselect. Both work but not nearly as easily as a "show last" function.

Gary
NickB  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:03:06 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Martin,
The show hide menu can be reached with keyboard shortcuts.
I have set the following:
Show - S (capital S)
Hide - h
Show Only - o
In my mind that is faster than right clicking and scrolling to something in a list.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ZeroLengthCurve  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:07:56 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I think about a year ago i suggested that hidden objects could be re-presented in some semi-transparent or dotted line fashion, and from that point the user could select among those the items to be restored to view. Those not selected for restore to view would be returned to hidden status. That would be less unwieldy than a layer tree showing up, especially if/since the layer tree wants to auto-expand or auto collapse (i cannot remember which now). In my case, i have hundreds of layers, so restoring to view might be easier on me if I can zoom through to stuff i want to restore to view.

An alternate take on this is that we invoke the command, and VC/VCP/Shark would open another 2 viewports.

One would be the current view, accessible and editable.

The second would be the vp from which restore-to-view items would be selected.

The third would be the preview port so the user can do trials-and-errors checking live before spending any number of seconds or minutes only to find out something was fogotten.

Ideally, each window could be torn off and dragged to another physical LCD, and the source and preview VPs should have user-defined color-coded or for the color-impaired, hatched or similar boundaries/canvases frames to help the detail-mired user not forget. Maybe the words "Source for restore to view" and "Preview for Restore-to-View"

Just my 2.5 cents...

and say, from the left, we cherry-pick stuff to restore to view