logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 4:44:14 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Wishlist for VCP 7

-- unhide items on a given layer

-----------

These four would speed up workflow when the drawing has a vastly long list of layers:

-- hide layer of items in selection

-- display "hide layer" in contextual right click when object is displayed.

-- display "hide layer" Concept Explorer when geometry is part of a right click inspection.

-- display "hide layer" Properties when geometry is part of a right click inspection.

---------

- Better shift-drag-drop of a layer

Shift-drag of layers needs to be more interactive. It seems either unpredictable as to where the select-dragged-dropped folder will actually land. Moreover, the landing tends to end up at the top of the list but is rather difficult to restore to its prior location. I would like to suggest that on click-and-drag-drop of a layer, the from layer and two layer have visual aids indicating the drop point, or that there be some sort of x-/click-box to confirm the drop point.
---------------

-- decouple VCP 7's MRU completely from VCP 6's MRU. It is not at all facilitative to have the upgrade program unhinge a user through commingled MRUs from projects of a predeceding version number of the app. I mean that VCP 7 is not an incremental rev of VCP 6, and if we're allowed to use VCP 6 and 7 concurrently, then each product should ask the user if MRUs can be merged or if they should stand alone.

-----------------

Allow running VCP 6 after VCP 7 has been started. Currently, the only way to get VCP 6 started is to close VCP 7 first. If we cannot run VCP 6 after, then why not cripple or outright delete it when VCP 6 is upgraded to VCP7. If each has (as a gracious courtesy on the part of VCP's team, and I truly do appreciate this courtesy) distinct product numbers, and if we're allowed to concurrently run both in the same user profile in the same, single computer, then running VCP 6 should not depend on our closing out VCP 7.

-------

External References in VCP 7?
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:40:15 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

-- Layers traversal should be possible. It should be easier to drag and drop layers, regardless of the tree from which they hang. The 3 main OS's permit folder moving, and multiple CAD apps permit it, too. Can we get it for VCP?

-- When inadvertently same-naming a layer, the error message should be gentler and more forgiving. It should not throw the user back to the original name. It would be nicer if it automatically appended the file name with a space or number or underscore and THEN warn the user that a duplicate name was averted. If the user wishes, the program should then revert to the old name.

-- Imported layers tend to have reference information or construction aide geometry that is useful to fold into the main branch of the new hosting drawing. But, if imported layers are nested 4 levels down in the original, they now are 5 down in the new drawing. It is sometimes very difficult or time-consuming to manage moving geometry around and finding mistakes in where I manually created a new layer simply because the app forbids moving a branch to another tree area. It would be a HUGE psychological boost to get past this. One possible solution would be two layers panels: one for the existing setup and another for tearing off and moving layers. This would eliminate a lot of scrolling.

-- Multi-letter shortcuts. Please. To me, it's worth paying an extra $50 for each future upgrade. It is painful to run out of letter, have to reshuffle letters, and not be able to more intuitively name the shortcut something more memorable.

-- Introductory collaboration tools. Various autodesk tools are running fast and furious with this. VCP and Shark have a great opportunity to offer API & Plugin features to help users of Delftship make boat, canoe, barge, and vessel design more two-way to avoid the back and forth of working in one app and having to throw away layers of work when refairing the hull.
phil  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:19:31 PM(UTC)
phil

^ the layer traversal/moving across tress/branches would be a great idea. The other day I had to manually move over a dozen layers around and it was very painful.

Also would prefer a better "delete layer" method.... a full delete with the layer name plus everything inside this layer to get deleted at the same time (not have the current/unwanted items/objects secretly jump to a different layer and finding out about it later).

Thanks.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:44:21 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Last night I just read in the User's Guide something that made me VERY happy and indicate i "opened mouth, inserted foot".

The Unhide feature (which i assigned the "u" key shortcut) exposes the previously-hidden or excluded geometry that is on any or all layers that have not been unchecked or turned off.

When you invoke "unhide" everthing you hid or everything you did not include with "Show Only" will then appear in a subdued or shaded hue so the main geometry you're working on still has a greater visibility. In a way, this is almost as useful as the Shark unhide function. If you miss something, just invoke Unhide again and grab more geometry.

If you're just simply refreshing your memory on the relative fit/location of some object in a very big model, just toggle the Unhide command.

VERY, VERRRRY cool. Don't know why I did not notice this in 2+ years. Any other time, i would have sworn that I had checked it out and used it.