logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:35:01 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi, i virtually *never* work in 2D. I do everything in 3D, and if i want to see something in "2D" or plan view, i simply hit my shortcut key and look at whatever i need/want to look at.

But, sometimes i inadvertently hit the "2D"/3D" button. Depending on the drawing i have open, it can take 5-15 seconds to regain control. I propose an option in Preferences to set the mode of operation.

Thanks!
jol  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 5:28:56 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tim

The HIT BOX for this action needs to be the top half of the header graphic ONLY .. where we have "2D 3D"

The HIT BOX needs to disclude the lower half of the graphic .. where it is written "VIA" / "Shark"

Is this possible ?

.. Like ZeroLengthCurve (does your wife call you that by the way ?) .. I keep getting frustrated by hitting a few pixels off-target and going to 2D mode
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 11:35:23 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hehe, jol, i alreday have a woman - her name's the Enterprise... ummm actually, i have no wife... But, sometimes, i wish software had user-definable failsafe/safety covers that could be overlaid on commands a user never or rarely uses, or over items the user loathes inadvertently invoking. IIRC, in the 'old days' some apps did.
API  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 9:12:19 AM(UTC)
API

I still don't understand the idea behind the 2D button. I never work in just 2D, why would anyone? Why spend the money on a piece of software with 1000 tools and then turn the best 700 tools off? In any case, when I hit the button by mistake, and then go back to 3D, my pallets don't (consistently) return to their correct locations. Can this be fixed?

Patrick
jol  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 10:17:43 AM(UTC)
jol

agree 100%

it's a pain in the ass as once in a while - you'll hit it accidentally and as Patrick says - when you click back to 3D .. your view and your palette have changed

it's stupid ! E

ven Forest would hate this 'feature'

Now, I proposed a reasonable remedy ..

can we make the hitbox for the Gump feature small ? .. just the top half of that little blue graphic

That way, you'd be highly unlikely to ever hit it by accident

What do you say Tim ?
unique  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 2:48:19 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
But, sometimes i inadvertently hit the "2D"/3D" button. Depending on the drawing i have open, it can take 5-15 seconds to regain control. I propose an option in Preferences to set the mode of operation.

Thanks!

I work in 2d a lot......because of accidentally nudging the middle mouse button and then having to reset my view back to TOP :)

Having a simple locked Top viewport is important to me...so how would this work guyz ?
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:15:08 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hopefully in the next major release we will be able to expose one of the planned features of this option.

One of the goals of the Go To 2D button is to transform an arbitrary plane of selected geometry into the xy plane. Do your modifications in the comfortable xy plane, then transform it back into location/orientation when you Go To 3D.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 4:38:04 AM(UTC)
jol

Great !

However, accidentally hitting that button is still going to remain an issue whether or not you progress this 2D feature

.. in the meantime .. please reduce the size of the hit-box to the top half of the graphic (where it says 2D and 3D)

That way, it'll stop getting on everybody's tits !
jlm  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2009 11:44:13 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 101 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
One of the goals of the Go To 2D button is to transform an arbitrary plane of selected geometry into the xy plane.

I never understood that.
That's great !
JL
API  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 7:49:17 AM(UTC)
API

There were a few threads about this 2d-3d button and its function. In one of the threads I thought this was fixed but in the latest build it doesn't put the tear off pallets back where they were. How about a small dialog box that says "Switch to 2D?" with Confirm or Cancel.

After all, if you cancel printing there's a dialog box that says "Print Setup failed" with OK.