logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MPSchmied  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2022 4:01:30 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
3d Mdels stay always in imperial, there is no way to convert the models to millimeter. You cant see this, because PunchCAD and the most other CAD programs use relative values, this mean they convert the values in real time to millimeter. But for Example, the MegaCAD Metal Sheet Module use absolute values and then you have always to use inch values......
Therefore i seaching a imperial to millimeter converter, but i guess there is no such converter on the market.....

Edited by user Monday, July 11, 2022 10:58:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
posh.de  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2022 9:29:36 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
SharkCAD, as the most other common CAD applications originating from companies located in countries still using imperial units (*sigh*), is using inch (DE: Zoll) as the internal unit for absolute xyz coordniates of geometrics. The user unit configured and used by the user is another thing and calculated on-the-fly for units shown in and used for user imputs of the user interface... nothing special here.

If geometry needs to be converted from imperial to metric units (ISO) and vice versa because of e.g. an import in the wrong unit, just scale with the factor inch = 25.4 with an exponent of 10 if applicable.
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
MPSchmied  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2022 10:57:04 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
because of e.g. an import in the wrong unit
I guess the files have headers. If you scale the file, you need also changing the headers of the file. I tested alot of CAD-Programs, but no one of them imported with the wrong unit. The Models are also in MegaCAD correct imported. Just the Metal Sheet Module will make 25,4 mm when you type the value 1. This mean if you want a cut out of 1mm you have to type 0,039370079

Best regards

Edited by user Monday, July 11, 2022 10:59:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2022 12:44:29 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
If you have powerpack you can convert the file unit to mm, inches and so on
MPSchmied  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2022 1:16:49 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
If you have powerpack you can convert the file unit to mm, inches and so on
This will be nice.
I need the Power Pack for v.9. Nobody want sell me this. Or works this only in v.12?
posh.de  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2022 12:37:11 PM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post
I guess the files have headers. If you scale the file, you need also changing the headers of the file. I tested alot of CAD-Programs, but no one of them imported with the wrong unit. The Models are also in MegaCAD correct imported. Just the Metal Sheet Module will make 25,4 mm when you type the value 1. This mean if you want a cut out of 1mm you have to type 0,039370079

do not mix up the user unit of the respective application ("File > Preferences > Units (DE: Maßeineheiten)") with the unit defined in some data exchange formats. For importing a file in an external format which you know is created in inch, configure the appropriate unit "inch" before importing and switch then back to your desired user unit, e.g. millimeters. If the geometry is scaled by the factor 25.4 (inch) or by exponents of 10 (mm/cm/m), either scale contrariwise or drop the imported geometry and import in the correct unit again.

There are several data exchange formats as e.g. the common DXF/DWG format which are dimension less and do not have the used unit defined in the file header (but sometines the dimension unit). Therefore the importing user has to know the unit used by the creator and either switch the unit before importing as explained above or select the unit during import if the application (as e.g. SharkCAD for the DXF/DWG format) does support.

If your used applications creates geometry in the length of 1 inch if inputting "1", then the user unit is obviously configured to inch (see application preferences).

Regardless of this, which data exchange format you are importing is affected by this problem.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 12, 2022 12:39:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
MPSchmied  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2022 3:05:56 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

If your used applications creates geometry in the length of 1 inch if inputting "1", then the user unit is obviously configured to inch (see application preferences
No. You have this issue completely misunderstood. The MegaCAD App, which i tested several weeks ago, was not switched to inch. Drawing worked in mm and only the metal sheet dialog box used 25,4mm when typed 1. You can use 2 solids in the same working space and for one of them is in this metal sheet dialog box 1=1mm and for the imperial-solid which created by PunchCAD is 1=25,4mm. How can i know that 1=25,4mm when the application units are not metric? How can i know that i have imperial solids? That there are a difference between Millimeter-Solids and Imperial Solids can a normal user not know, because only when you have a application that use the absolute values you will see a difference.
There are several data exchange formats as e.g. the common DXF/DWG format which are dimension less and do not have the used unit defined in the file header
Impressive. I use the most time step and sat for exchange. I was not able to convert a imperial-solid to a Millimeter-Solid over the dxf-export. I guess therefore, also the dxf have some headers. And Yes, i was already angry about dxf, because the dimensions can have wrong values.

Edited by user Friday, July 15, 2022 9:36:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified