logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
creativecad  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2023 2:21:43 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I am not sure what to do or how to avoid something like this. Something caused my print sheet borders to all disappear. I tried to undo, but could not get it to undo. I went to pull up a backup file, and it said the file was damaged. I had 5 backup files saved today, everyone of the backups say they are damaged. I tried to export the file to a new file.

I saved the file, then saved it again as a different file. The next step I did was probably a bad move, but I closed my file and tried to reopen. Now, I cannot open it nor any of the backups. I tried shutting down my computer then restarting. Still nothing.

Thankfully, I do have another file from a few days ago of this same job so I have not lost the whole job, but I have lost several days of work.

Help appreciated.
creativecad attached the following image(s):
Screenshot (2).png (207kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 1 user thanked creativecad for this useful post.
specktech on 2/2/2023(UTC)
L. Banasky  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2023 2:35:21 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Happens to me sometimes, usually I can Import the file, and it works, but not always.
Larry
thanks 1 user thanked L. Banasky for this useful post.
creativecad  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2023 2:56:58 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Yes, importing is not working even on the backups. I think from now on I will try to save as a new file every day.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
creativecad  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2023 4:13:07 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Yesterday, Viacad crashed to desktop 4 or 5 times. After that, I went looking into my computer settings. The only thing I really noticed was the computer had Game Mode Graphics on. I thought that might could cause some problems so I turned it off.

Today, I was a bit on edge all day worried it would crash, constantly saving, but it didn't. It was awesome, got a whole lot done! Viacad is awesome when it doesn't crash.

I am thinking that Windows Game Mode conflicts with Viacad. Anyone else run across this??

Sam.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
creativecad  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2023 1:51:23 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Nevermind. Still crashed to desktop with game mode off today twice this morning.

I am wondering now if it is the file itself.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2023 2:03:35 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)

If you can send me the file, I can check if data is missing or data crashing when processed.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
creativecad  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2023 3:57:03 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Thank you, Tim. I will send it to you tomorrow when I get back into work.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
ZeroLengthCurve  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2023 4:57:37 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
What I do to guard against file corruption is:

1. Turn on auto save, set for every 5 to 20 minutes, longer intervals as rhe file size grows past 50 mb.

2. Periodically do Save As to a new file iteration

3. Cooy and save some xhiice backups to other media and to new backup names, even if those sre on the same disk.

4. Periodically revisit saved files and backups to assure myself that they can be opened.

Also, part of my workflow is:

1. At a mentally-convenient point, stope working on the file to do a new Save-As

2. Selecting a bunch of splines I know have associativity to something, and going to the Concept Explorer tab named Entities, and right click on one of the splines listed, make sure it has an associative item, then click on "Force Resolve Links"

3. Go to app menu item Edit, then click on "Resolve Links"

4. Do a Save As as yet a new name

5. Click on File, Compact

Note: I can regularly every 30 saves end up running into a spurious/unceremonious app crash. Hence, saving as a new name BEFORE doing a compact.

6. Compact as many times as necessary, unlike in my earlier years of recognition of Compact (~2016 onward) where I did only a SINGLE compact, unawares that in at least Shark V9 (before I upgraded to/bought v12) there can be as many as 15 Compact actions (akin to going home by walking only half the distance of each new leg, then stopping) needed before no more appearances of the dialog listing objects that can be selected and saved from that sub-panel of operations.

7. After Compact is done, yet again do Save As, before moving on with more edits.

As for guarding against spurious loss of tool pallets, I back up those to a differently-named folder.

Yes, as I'm designing naval ships as if a pseudo wannabe naval architect, but doing almost EVERYTHING in a single file, my files grow to 140 mb when saved-as, depending on how many solids and linked curves and surfaces exist. And, currently, Im hitting 1.1 to 1.8 GB during mormal edits. Doing rapid and numerous solids/surfaces related edits via underlying control curves (mostly control point splines) can push actively used RAM to over 2GB. Saves can, too, until the save operation finishes.

Opens can take up to 30 to 60 secinds, and saves/auto saves of a 90mb to 120 mb file can take up to 2 minutes. Closes of a successfully saved file can be nearly instant.

Also, based on some past losses or crashes, I close the files BEFORE closing the Shark app.

Sometimes, I'll immediately reopen the file to ensure nothing awry occured, unless I'm rushed for time.
thanks 2 users thanked ZeroLengthCurve for this useful post.
creativecad on 2/13/2023(UTC), memphisjed on 10/28/2023(UTC)
creativecad  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2023 8:46:39 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Thank you for the info. I had been autosaving every 20 minutes, and I just started periodically saving as a new file periodically, but rarely compact or force resolve links.

Do these help keep the file more stable?
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
ZeroLengthCurve on 2/14/2023(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2023 9:27:48 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I don't know factually. But, a last year or years-ago post I read but cannot find had a respondent who said something about compacting helping reduce corruption. I use Force Resolve to expose issues that hopefully get "garbage collected" along rhe way of compacting.
UGMENTALCASE  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2023 4:21:48 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
All that to stop a crash and loss of data? Seriously?
ZeroLengthCurve  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2023 4:46:59 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

This trial and error makes me feel better. Sadly, a crash happens now and again.

However, some of my object counts are:

Arcs/Circles: 11,147
Dimensions: 30
Ellipses: 37
Groups: 350
Lines: 47,154
Pictures: 5
Polygons: 1.912
Splines: 1.325
Solids: 963
Surfaces: 5,893
Text: 352
Wall: 30

That's after deleting a hundred or so solids to rebuild tanks and compartments because I edited the hull.

Ram: 1.2 GB

Current file size: 110.6 MB

With that kind of content and none of it xrefs, I need to do whatever I can to reduce risk of corruption.
relaxibus  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2023 5:03:08 AM(UTC)
relaxibus

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Tim Olson  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2023 2:12:29 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

I would normally not think that Compacting a file would make a file less likely to be corrupted.

From my experience a corrupted file occurs:
--logic error in tool corrupting an object's data that then corrupts a later saved file (ie NaN data)
--not enough disk space
--saving across a network

Compacting would only make a difference if the compaction completely removed a previously corrupt object with bad data.

Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, February 14, 2023 5:39:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ZeroLengthCurve  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2023 8:17:11 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I neglected (in 1-7 of my steps 1-4 and 1-7) to mention that in the Compact Options, I select only "Purged Deleted".

Also, I suspect that "Purged" is a typo that eluded QA and that it should be "Purge", unless somehow there can exist actually purged and deleted items that.. wait.. resurrected.

(I've seen something like that in the form of deleted items coming and going during undo, but undo not behaving in v12...)

Honestly, tho, I think I've had fewer than 5 file corruptions in many hundreds of or possibly thousands of files that grow out to 60 MB to 150 MB and consume RAM of 1 GB v9 and earlier, and 1.8 GB to 2 GB of RAM in v12, and so far no corruptions in v12.

Tim Olson  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2023 2:03:03 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>> Also, I suspect that "Purged" is a typo that eluded QA and that it should be "Purge",

Yes, now corrected. Thanks!

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
creativecad  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2023 6:16:56 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

If you can send me the file, I can check if data is missing or data crashing when processed.

Tim, I sent the file to [email protected] 2 days ago. Is this the right place to send the file? I haven't received any response.

Thanks,
Sam
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10