logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gary  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:16:59 PM(UTC)
Gary

Hello Tim & Team,

An idea to improve the move tool when used in conjunction with the option key for copying.

currently when I want to move/copy a entity more than once, I have to enter a start and end location for each copy (a lot of clicking, and option must be continuously held).

1. add an option for 2 additional types of moves:

A. copy continuous. with this option no need to hold down the option key or select multiple start points. Select the first start point and then all subsequent clicks place copies of the entities. Double click or escape to end the operation.

B. repeat copy. with this option select the start point and the end point. All subsequent clicks repeat the copy. Double click or escape to end the operation. (this is like a linear duplicate, step offset, without the need for the dialog box). This can be a nice addition to the rotate tool as well.

And an idea for easier moving in some cases,

2. add the option to move a entity to a real world coordinate (not just a move defined by a distance). I often want to move an object relative to the location or vertex of another object. Currently the only way to do this is to do the addition or subtraction between the start and end points to derive the move distance. If above or below the dX, dY and dZ move fields were tab-able fields that displayed real world coordinates, I could just entered the desired x, y, or z location.

let me know if this needs any further explanation.

Thanks,

Gary
unique  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 2:17:48 AM(UTC)
unique

Hi Gary,

B) Did you know that if you select an item and copy it along one axis you can duplicate that (like lin. array) keep hold of the option key and press "Enter" repeatedly.

HTH
jol  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 3:27:07 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I can't do this Unique .. what am I missing ?

I thought a duplicate function would be good - like in Illustrator whereby after you move/copy an object, (Apple D) lets you then repeat this operation - effectively gives you an array
Tem  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 4:00:01 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Optionally, meticulously recreate each object at each point. :-)
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 8:06:06 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gary Go to Quoted Post
Hello Tim & Team,

An idea to improve the move tool when used in conjunction with the option key for copying.

currently when I want to move/copy a entity more than once, I have to enter a start and end location for each copy (a lot of clicking, and option must be continuously held).

1. add an option for 2 additional types of moves:

A. copy continuous. with this option no need to hold down the option key or select multiple start points. Select the first start point and then all subsequent clicks place copies of the entities. Double click or escape to end the operation.

B. repeat copy. with this option select the start point and the end point. All subsequent clicks repeat the copy. Double click or escape to end the operation. (this is like a linear duplicate, step offset, without the need for the dialog box). This can be a nice addition to the rotate tool as well.

And an idea for easier moving in some cases,

2. add the option to move a entity to a real world coordinate (not just a move defined by a distance). I often want to move an object relative to the location or vertex of another object. Currently the only way to do this is to do the addition or subtraction between the start and end points to derive the move distance. If above or below the dX, dY and dZ move fields were tab-able fields that displayed real world coordinates, I could just entered the desired x, y, or z location.

let me know if this needs any further explanation.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary

Good ideas here I like the copy function ideas but what about having a dedicated copy tool then no need to select so many options inside the translate tool.

What do you mean in the A/B options you described A is you can place multiple copies of the selected object by just clicking the location, but is b just that the tool stays active and you pick a new base point on the object you want to copy?

With the new relative point entry Tim talked about it would be nice to roll that function to the translate/copy command.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jol  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 8:11:52 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tem .. we'll have no humour here on the cad forum thank you ; )
Gary  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 8:24:48 AM(UTC)
Gary

Hello Jason,

Option A let's you place additional copies at the location of your choice, you just continue to click at the placement location.

Option B let's you continue to repeat the 1st move/copy. Additional clicks repeat the exact x,y, & z coordinates.

Gary