logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jors  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 12:33:03 PM(UTC)
jors

I would like to see the option to selct say one face or half of a solid and to be able to scale that part while the other part remains.

In other words: Take for example a cube of 50 mm for all sides.. Select the top and rescale only the top to 1mm. The top scale but not the bottom, while all sides stay connected and the original object remains a solid. It will now appears like a pyramid.

Take a round tube of 50 mm diameter and 200 mm long. I want to be able to fit in "bulkheads" and be able to scale say the third one from the tip to 50% the next one to 80%, ........

There will be more control and thousands of more possibilities. I would like to constrain also.
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 3:28:56 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Use the skin solid between two 2D squares and scale one. You can do that on the fly..
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
zumer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:33:05 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
jors, what you're referring to as "solids" are called primitives, from an earlier and more limited iteration of CAD evolution, Constructive Solid Geometry, CSG. ViaCAD and Shark incorporate solid primitives for appropriate objects, but they're a limited subset of feature-based modeling. They're limited to planar, cylindrical, conical and spherical/ellipsoid faces, and their use limits the ways objects can be edited. Within the application, the ACIS kernel defines them differently to solids generated by lofting (skinning), lathing, extruding and other extensions of curves and contours into 3D. Solids produced by those methods are associative to the lines and curves they're generated from. You edit the solid by editing the generating lines and curves that define its features, and you can even use the history tree to change the order that they've been created in or applied, a feature that's unique at ViaCAD's price point, as far as I know. It makes possible far more versatile and organic shapes than CSG assembly of primitives. Extending the ways that CSG can be used is redundant.
jors  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 11:07:41 PM(UTC)
jors

Zumer, I am relative new to CAD but new to ViaCAD so I am not familiar with the terms used. Currently I am working with ViaCAD and get all the results I need with the 2% I know of/about the software.

If I add a solid like a cube in the front view I have four corners (points) in front of me and another four deeper in the view, that I can not see. Only go be seen if I start to rotate the cube.

I would like the ability to add a new "cut" or ring of points with a click or two of the mouse to this cube, so that it is still a cube in solid view, but with the first cube with 8 points (corners) and 6 sides (polygons), the cube after the cut was adderd the cube will still be the same size and appearance in solid view, but with 12 points in wireframe and 10 polygons. It is still one object. I would like the ability to scale the front four corners independantly from the other four in the centre and the other four at the back. I would also like to independantly move single points.

In some other graphical 3D software like Blender and 3DS you can add such "cuts" as many as you wish, where you design for example a wing.

I know I can add a point, and then have to first remove some surfaces and add new ones linking eith this nes additional points If I understand it correctly.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:08:01 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Jols,

I thnik what you are asking could be extended. So, my question to all is:

Can we insert one or more control planes and "attach" them to a solid or surface, then manipulate the planes to reshape the surface before committing to its final shape.

Also, it'd be really neat to turn on the grid of a surface or solid face, attach stiffening or studs, and then have them follow their attach points or increase/decrease in number based on some user-specified rule. Would be akin to Punch!'s home design software that do that.