logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
giametti  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 1:48:09 PM(UTC)
giametti

I created a salad server spoon using meshes (my first go with meshes). The wood spoon will mount in a hollow silver handle so I need a smooth flare on the handle ending with a clean unrounded edge. From that edge there will be a smaller tang projecting into the handle. I'm trying to attach a picture of the spoon I'll be replicating. To do the proper flare, the only way I know to do it was to have a section beyond the part to maintain. I'd like to convert the stl to a solid so I can cut it with a plane, then attach an extruded tang to this flat end. I get an error message that there are too many facets to do the conversion from mesh to solid. I'm using ViaCAD Pro 14. Would Power Pack enable me to do this? Or upgrading to Shark?
giametti attached the following image(s):
Spoon - 1.jpg (59kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
MPSchmied  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 3:30:36 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Don't you need Subdivision to Nurbs first to use Meshes for Solids? Otherwise you have to many facets when it should look round without NURBS.
But Subdivision to Nurbs was removed in newer versions.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
giametti  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 5:15:15 PM(UTC)
giametti

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you mean by Subdivision to Nurbs. Is it a tool? The only one I know is the Subdivision tool on the Mesh pallet. I'm over my head working with meshes on this project but I knew that what I usually did with Solids wouldn't work here. Is it part of Power Pack?
murrayagain  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 5:27:32 PM(UTC)
murrayagain

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Mesh solidification has been limited to fewer than 3K faces since around V7, but mesh booleans have been improved since V11/V12, it might work to subtract a very thin mesh box to separate the pieces instead of slicing with a zero-thickness plane, model your additions/extensions as meshes, model in solids and convert them to mesh objects once you're satisfied with them and add or subtract them back in. .stl wasn't intended to be an editable format, better to keep your mesh originals to work with and export as .stl when you need it.

I fooled around a bit with it myself and found that the best way to split the object IMO is to enclose part within a *mesh* box with one side the split line, copy object and box in place, subtract the box from one copy, intersect the box with the other, giving the two parts split at the box face.

Edited by user Thursday, March 9, 2023 7:55:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked murrayagain for this useful post.
specktech on 8/6/2023(UTC)