logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tim Olson  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2023 7:54:29 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
WIP Build 1629 is now ready for testing. Download links from:

http://www.masterviacad.com/beta/beta.php

Change Log for 1629

1. Corrected instance of file corruption when reading in decals from V12
2. Corrected view clipping instance in ortho and perspective views
3. Corrected unit conversion issue with camera focal length
4. Added a prompt message when calculating mass properties without material assignments

Edited by user Thursday, May 4, 2023 12:58:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
MaiFy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2023 8:45:03 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hi Tim
Thanks for your work in keeping Viacad up to date.
These Symbols were made in Viacad 10 but I have had the same thing happening since 7
When I drag them in, I place them in a clear space and ungroup by removing / resolving links and regroup.
Then place into drawing.
I still do it for 14 but as you can see in the attached the extra info still gets left behind.

MaiFy attached the following image(s):
Sparkles.jpg (93kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
Version.jpg (38kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
MaiFy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2023 9:43:52 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Some Symbols to test.
File Attachment(s):
sink RHB Nov Plat.vcp (3,398kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
sink single RHB.vcp (214kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Laundry Tub.vcp (3,329kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
upright stove elv.vcp (422kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Omega double.vcp (742kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
Cooktop 900 Plan.vcp (442kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

MPSchmied  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2023 7:08:24 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
The DXF import does not work correctly, the text is displayed at a completely different location and in a completely different size, as well as the dimensions. The perspective does not work properly, and the substructure is visible through thin sheet.

Edited by user Thursday, May 4, 2023 7:15:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
thanks 1 user thanked MPSchmied for this useful post.
GARLIC on 5/4/2023(UTC)
Mark  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2023 4:36:44 PM(UTC)
Mark

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
In SharkCAD 14 v1629 on Mac, dimension values are not scaled with text size anymore.
Scaling works only when editing existing dimensions. Changing text size for new dimensions doesn't scale any other values.

Edited by user Friday, May 5, 2023 10:19:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Intel iMac-20,2 | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 | SharkCAD 14 |
MPSchmied  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2023 9:17:18 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Corrected view clipping instance in ortho and perspective views
I have a file that always opens clipped. This clipping disappears after some time without any recognizable cause. View > Shade Options > Clip at Eye Point has no effect. This clipping feature does not provide any real advantage for me.

The right mouse context menu now appears when clicking the middle mouse button as well. Please remove this function from the middle mouse button, as it disturbs me.

Edited by user Friday, May 5, 2023 10:24:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
specktech  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 1:54:58 PM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Thanks Tim and your team. Been testing ViaCAD v14 Build 1625 really hard for the last two weeks. I can tell you fixed a bunch of things. That mesh symmetry feature works so nice now. Makes me so happy to see this amazing CAD software getting super dialed in. Just one thing...You know how the ? Question mark brings up user tips. Quite a few of them could use a little more information. And quite a few the text is blurry and you can't read them. Thanks Tim.
thanks 1 user thanked specktech for this useful post.
ctkjose on 7/20/2023(UTC)
curtk  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2023 12:42:41 PM(UTC)
curtk

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 17 post(s)
been testing 1627 and the blend tool is still far weaker than v8 . V8 will complete my simple blend while v12 v14 crash .
This has been an on going battle for me with v9 and up , and without this working properly the new versions aren't of much use to me
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 2:59:12 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Originally Posted by: curtk Go to Quoted Post
been testing 1627 and the blend tool is still far weaker than v8 . V8 will complete my simple blend while v12 v14 crash .
This has been an on going battle for me with v9 and up , and without this working properly the new versions aren't of much use to me

Would it be possible to post the file with the blend issue?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
curtk  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2023 7:13:52 PM(UTC)
curtk

if you start the rad/blend between these 2 ellipses at .05" then .1 and so on you will see the strengths between v8 and the newer versions . At .1" v14 and 12 both crash . They are ok with higher radius values but it's hit and miss . I've done a lot of designing in v12 but when it comes to certain blends I export to a v8 file the finish the work in v8 . This is a big problem since my designs are for visual effect as well as functional , and blends are very important

Edited by user Wednesday, May 17, 2023 7:35:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
rads1.vcp (110kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

jlm  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2023 8:30:38 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: curtk Go to Quoted Post
if you start the rad/blend between these 2 ellipses at .05" then .1 and so on you will see the strengths between v8 and the newer versions . At .1" v14 and 12 both crash . They are ok with higher radius values but it's hit and miss . I've done a lot of designing in v12 but when it comes to certain blends I export to a v8 file the finish the work in v8 . This is a big problem since my designs are for visual effect as well as functional , and blends are very important

Hi Curtk,
I just tried your file with SFX V14 an it hangs with 0.1" value. (infinite spin ball)
Bigger values, even 10" are OK.

I also tried with TurboCad V14 beta and it freezes with this value, the same way.

It is strange : my units preference is automatically switching from mm to inches, not when I open your file, but when I change the radius value...

JL

Edited by user Wednesday, May 17, 2023 8:54:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

curtk  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2023 9:45:23 PM(UTC)
curtk

thats the exact problem I get , I say crash because I get the same circle going round and round til I click on the screen and everything freezes up . It is not a problem with v8 on this example . I can only push v8 so far with most geometries before the same thing happens , but from v9 and on it's much worse . I've brought this up with support in the past at which there were some improvements made in the beginning of v12 (if I remember correctly) . Regardless of the version I've made a habit of saving when doing blends , and I have often lost a significant amount of work on the occasions I forgot
I've often seen times when no matter what I'd try I can't add any amount of blend to creased areas i need them , and thats with all versions . Ultimately what I need is blends to flow into or overlap other blends . I grew used to mastercam where I could force blends all over til I got the shape I needed but I no longer have that benefit

Edited by user Wednesday, May 17, 2023 9:51:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2023 3:31:55 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>I just tried your file with SFX V14 an it hangs with 0.1" value. (infinite spin ball)
>>Bigger values, even 10" are OK.

Same here. I will need to send the file off to Spatial to fix.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
curtk  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2023 8:41:07 PM(UTC)
curtk

the situation with this particular file is a bit unique . It will hang up on .1" but blends can be done at .05" or .5" and up . This is very uncommon , usually once a limit has been reach there is no pushing a blend at a higher number , if .1 won't blend then .5 definitely isn't going to fly .

2 problems with this whole thing is that for one the newer versions are weaker at making blends than v8 , at which v8 itself is weak .
2/ On a lot of occasions I will get a error message saying that it can't be done (not those exact words) then I can carry on working , but most times the software hangs up until I have to shut it down , the hang ups hurt

the developers really need to cram geometries together them see how far they can push their blends . For mechanical parts the blending tools shouldn't be an issue for most but it is much more difficult when trying to blend geometries to create more organic looking models . Everytime I upgrade versions the first thing I check is how I can push blends into something similar to the example I provided .

I honestly love working with the software and I use it a lot , unfortunately the blends are a thorn in my side which I'd love to see resolved

btw : i don't know if it matters but I've been doing this on the viacad pro versions

Edited by user Thursday, May 18, 2023 8:47:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2023 12:17:21 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>btw : i don't know if it matters but I've been doing this on the viacad pro versions

The underlying blending engine is the same for all variants. The blend (and most all solid modeling functions) are based upon ACIS modeling Engine.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore