logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perry  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2024 12:48:07 PM(UTC)
perry

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have an object I made (attached STL file), and I want to expand it in all directions by 1mm. Is there an easy way to do this? I'm in ViaCAD 12.

I know I can use the Gripper to expand it, but the scale is relative to the current size. So it starts at 1.0. If I double it it's 2.0. Is the only way to do this to work out the math and enter it there? That's fine if so, but if there's a way to specify that I want it 1mm larger in X,Y, and Z, then that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Edited by user Monday, January 29, 2024 12:51:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
ER-20-ColletNutNegative.stp (315kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
damhave  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2024 1:55:02 PM(UTC)
damhave

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hi Perry,
I think the "Thicken Solid" tool will do what you want.
It is in SharkCAD pro, I think it is also included in ViaCAD.
see this thread
https://forum.punchcad.c...sts&t=6913#post25482
and the attached image for finding the tool
kind regards
Danny
PS If you use the tool with 0.5mm it will add 0.5mm on all faces around the object and thereby increase all dimensions by 1 mm

Edited by user Monday, January 29, 2024 2:03:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

damhave attached the following image(s):
The Thicken Solid Tool.png (106kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

BR
Danny

Windows 10 Pro,
SharkCAD v14 Pro (1653),
XPS 15,9980HK
Sonoma 14.3,
SharkCAD v14 Pro (1653),
MacBook Pro 14 2023,M3
perry  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2024 2:19:21 PM(UTC)
perry

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hmm. well, that kind of works. You do have to drag-select the whole object which means you have to isolate it from other objects first. But it also scales up all the features like chamfers which I don't necessarily want. See the attached image.

The one on the left is the original. The one in the middle uses the Thicken Solid tool, which is adding 1mm thickness to everything (so for me, I'd want it to be 0.5mm). The one on the right uses the grabber.

The end result of what the grabber does is what I want, scaling the whole thing but not affecting the edges like thickening does. The trick is that I have to do all the math ahead of time and enter that as the scale factor, which is an extra step. Not the end of the world, but an extra step

Edited by user Monday, January 29, 2024 2:20:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perry attached the following image(s):
scaling.jpg (126kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

thanks 1 user thanked perry for this useful post.
damhave on 1/30/2024(UTC)
24c  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2024 4:07:11 AM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perry Go to Quoted Post

The end result of what the grabber does is what I want, scaling the whole thing but not affecting the edges like thickening does. The trick is that I have to do all the math ahead of time and enter that as the scale factor, which is an extra step. Not the end of the world, but an extra step

That's all I ever do with very small changes in size, but as most of my STLs files are used in 3D printing via Orca Slicer (which incidentally accepts STEP files too aka smoother arcs), so I tend to use the scaling & tolerancing tools in this to compensate for part shrinkage, unless the model is inaccurate.

Mike
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652