logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billbedford  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:25:17 PM(UTC)
billbedford

I have been playing with compact recently and don't particularly like what I've found. What I've done, in ViaCad 7, is the following:-

Produce a 3D drawing with about a dozen primitives booleaned together, save and the file size is about 200kb.

Open this file and import a second file. This has some jpegs in it and is about 50Mb.

Adjust the position of the original entities and save. File size is still about 50Mb

Delete the imported entities and compact purging deleted entities and empty layers. The file size goes down to about 32Mb.

This is a bit disappointing, but I can live with it, however when the file is closed and then reopened it can take more than 3 minutes. Almost all of this time is spent at the 'Updating Links' stage.

I had hoped that by using Compact on component files and importing them into an assembly file I could use them as a standard set of files to produce a range of similar drawings. However since the assembly drawing, of about 130 Mb, takes a very long time to open (<10 minutes) I fear the whole set has been 'poisoned'
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:45:00 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 353 post(s)
The purpose of the Compact File command is to remove temporary or delete pending objects.

Normally when you delete objects they stick around in the database until you save and read the file back in. They are not purged from the database because you may later undo them while in the current session. Compact purges them from the database and it also clears the undo stack.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore