logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:34:46 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
It would be nice to have VCP or Shark allow the user to determine comfortable working fit in a tight space.

Let's say I design an engine room on a ship or an engine compartment of a car. I want to determine how well or uncomfortably a person or a person's appendages and rib cage may fit in a work area.

Currently, I have to create a sphere or box and then alter the opacity of things, pick optimal colors, and then try to line up the object against the collision surfaces nearby. Then i could check for interferences

It would be neat if the object being tested for is akin to a sphere or marble. I could suspend it from a string and try to let it gravity-fall/move, lay it on the "floor"and virtually tilt a floor to see how far it goes, or snake ii through on a wireframe path.

It would be nice if VCP (does it?) would ship with 5 or 6 basic male and female height/mass percentiles models in 3D, not just sitting/standing. I'm not asking for animated, crawling, or sprawling figures, just semi-posable. I could lean a body up against a block or hood or motor and then "dangle" or joint-manipulate the parts to see what kind of clearance is needed.

In the case of a room or work area, I currently have to draw lines and measure them and decided how much of the model must be changed to accommodate something in it, or how much the item in the space must be moved over or displaced.

Just an idea...
la mouche  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:07:02 AM(UTC)
la mouche

wow!!! :)

good idea!

collision handling please!! Tim

----

it reminds me of an old post:

http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=2994

Antoine
la mouche  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:32:05 AM(UTC)
la mouche

just a preliminary system for collision control...

http://screencast.com/t/hjdpifdjJK

Antoine
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 9:17:01 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Thanks. I tried the collision detection feature a long while back. But, in my case, my areas of interest are the long edged of an engine enclosure not aligned with the ship's longitudinal axis. The enclosure's long axis can be canted inboard at the front, and outboard at the back. Because the enclosures can be 150 of 200 feet apart, they also thus have differences in their baseline heights. Since the engines are higher up than the propellers, there is downwar tilt. Add to that that the ship's hull slopes inward from top down, and inward from fore-to-aft, and it increases as one goes down and aftward.

Then, After adding shell stiffening of say 10" to 20" vertically and horizontally, space is lost. Then, add the enclosure foundation, shock damping pieces, and then it can be pretty tight in there. If damage occurs from grounding, collision, or some type of explosion, then jagged edges are in the way. So, I'd like to be able to stick a silhouette of a 3D human (better yet, a nicely-done, pose-capable 3D model that I can configure as haunched, crawling, climbing, shimmying, sliding, and crab-walking along a stiffener to simulate reach distance and work comfort.

I have yet to look at the symbols, but I doubt there is an articulable 3D human model for 2 or 3 percentile groups (tall, middle, short, thin, medium, large build male and females) with an ability to stand or knock down.

Is there anyone in the forum who has created semi-solid human models and has the right to give them away to ViaCAD and Shark users or to offer them up as inclusion in the symbols library? It would be nice if some of the Punch! Software Home and Garden Planner features could make it into ViaCAD and Shark. A 3D design environment used for structures that can be occupied (cars, cockpits, crane cabs, and so on, as opposed to devices, implants, tools, and such) should come with an awe-inspiring set of poseable (not the software company Posable, but pose-capable) and collision-detection human models. After all, there is no point in using a 2D wireframe silhouette in a 3D model, and no point in having a model that sinks through the deck or flooor or walls like in Star Trek of the 1960 (The Tholian Web) inconsistent with zero gravity and fluidic penetration of structure....
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 4:49:35 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Another possibly useful (and fun) feature of collision detection could arise from the model having gravity. If one can assign accelleration to static objects (or, at least to slowly moving/tilting ones), then imagine building a model of bearing unit and being told exactly x number of bearings have to be slotted or fitted with y gap between the surfaces.

Yes, I realize that one could probably create a circle or an arc, then segment the curve according to the diameter of bearings of choice and the maximum gap/gapping desired, but suppose that the bearings are some other object that needs to be allowed to fall into or out of some hole or feature in the model.

In a way, it almost could begin to help set up sizing holes and pipes based on flow of the model. So, even if one is verse in calculating pressure or flow drops, imaging telling the model that fluid entry points are at X, and various drops are at Y, and discharges ports or valves are at Z. What size pump will I need if 1 or 2 of these is opened up fully...?

Wait, there probably are dedicated apps for that, hehehehe.

But, back to bearings... it could be useful to determine how to optimize a pathway for bearing-like objects to flow through or follow along a path. Even if not for flow reasons, imagine designing some sort of jewelry or mind-dazzler that has bearings in a tube, and the tube is helical, yet is itselve in some other geometric body...

Wait... you'll be up all weekend designing some new items... hehehehe