logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 3:05:00 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
"The text that you have entered is too long (12887 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

OK, here's another tome... As Zumer indicated, i might be going around the world to get to the house next door...:o It's not easy to read this on-screen i concede. In an attempt to make reading easier, i used paragraph headers matching the images being discussed. Maybe it will be easier if you print it and then run colored rules between paragraphs...

-------
I've decided to show a more positive and more descriptive way to add to VC and VCP and Shark a feature that i think could be an immense time saver. It would be a tool that is potentially namable as "Mirror Extrude (a solid) About Modelspace or a User-Defined Centerline".

The suggested feature would not be dependent upon limitations in ACIS which expects planar lines if lines are closed. It should also avoid 1 or 2-rail sweep issues when 4 lines are pre-selected and then a sweep is attempted, resulting in only two lines sweeping but no solid being generated.

My suggestion avoids the necessity of creating over a dozen lines to obtain a solid, and it would create the solid in seconds rather than the multiple minutes normally likely. My suggestion need not be tied to only naval architecture modeling, but can be useful for jewelry, automotive, and any other model that has symmetrical features that need to be swept, but where the original lines involved are not planar. Moreover, the user would not need to draw constructions nor create an entire box.

I'll use my own drawing's screen snapshots to help visualize my suggestion.

IMAGE 001

In image 001, you see the model of my ship. It is some 560 feet long. Breaking it down into managable chunks will normally be mind and labor intensive since VC/VCP/Shark are not automated with scripts the way industrial-strength, $12,000 to $100,000 per-seat naval architecture apps are.

The red lines visible are waterlines, mostly in pairs to demarcate the upper and lower bounds of the deck plating thickness. (Generally, the thickness will be uniform for a given plating, though in each level or at various waterlines, the plating may be thicker than the plate above or below it. It depends on modeling analysis output or experience-driven constraints.) These red lines are only the starboard (right-hand) side selected.

IMAGE 002

In image 002, you see the mesh that is not really useful (in my scenarios?) for much except to have visual boundaries (at least they can be color-coded), or from which to draw vertex-intersecting lines/curves.

IMAGE 003

In image 003, you see an isometric view of the hull. The selected (red) lines on the port (left) side are going to be hidden, but first, let's look at the next image, image 004.

IMAGE 004

In image 004, you see the body plan view, or elevation of the bow to aft (front to back) view. The selected lines are the port (left) side, and these will be hidden in subsequent images. They can be hidden because the notional "Mirror Extrude About Modelspace or a User-Defined Centerline" tool would not need these lines. Hiding them removes a lot of would-be clutter and tedium, and reduce stress or anxiety on the user.

The non-horizontal lines visible are Stations. These stations are paired lines, paired to demarcate plate thickness of the watertight transverse bulkheads in the hull (watertight regarding real-world weld-provided watertightness, not watertightness in the 3D modeling world explanation). They will be more apparent in a following image. Not shown here or in most of the other views is a solid that is the WT TVBHD. But, it is visible in Image 001.

(These paired lines are generated in Delftship for greater fidelity or faithfulness to the fairing process done in Delftship. VC/VCP/Shark cannot easily be used to create any offset lines for station or WT TVBHD because we users cannot select the mesh to cast the line against and later use that surface. After trial and error, i decided to create plate thicknesses in Delftship and not in VC/VCP. Again, the following tools cannot select the mesh:

-- Project Curve Surface tool

-- Surface/Surface Intersect

-- Curve/Surface Intersect

-- Silhouette Curve

Therefore, any surfaces that would perfectly intersect with the mesh and make for perfectly-shaped WT TVBHDs is not to be enjoyed unless each mesh is first broken down and re-joined as surfaces (or some external mesh-to-surface conversion tool is used, requiring the user to learn other tools and possibly fragmenting or fraying the user's devotion to VC/VCP/Shark). But, converting the object type to surfaces from meshes and then rejoining these surfaces further complicates downstream work (say, editing related to trimming deck surfaces or cutting holes in the hull for for overboard discharges or ports or other access point when the expanse of plating cut is not large enough, or when two adjacent surfaces need to be cut up). In such cases, the previously-joined surface has to again be broken converted to facets and then rejoined. This can become messy and disruptive to work that might have relied on that surface not being changed or edited. It could result in a face that is no longer true to or not identical to what is was before. This is a strong argument for having the mesh accessible in VC/VCP/Shark as a normal VCP surface, without the user needlessly struggling with Booleans and so on to get what is already there but not in the user-friendly object type.

IMAGE 005

In image 005, the aforementioned stations are quite visible. Also visible is a deck i created in an earlier session than these screenshots. I use the line trim (or also the region trim) tool(s) to break and remove the gray lines shown. I right-select the four lines and then select the region to be discarded. As you can more easily see in images 001 and 002 and 003, the WT TVBHD boundaries dictate where the plating is cut for each deck. Previously, i created at each waterline a pair of horizontal surfaces.

(This involved extra work of creating numerous immediately needed and subsequently needed layers to declutter the view and to avoid many instances of hide/show-all/undo hide and so on. With my tool suggestion, some aspects of this will be eliminated, namely creation of the deck plating construction surfaces. But, with the deck plating surfaces needed, each WT TVBHD is used along with the surface-to-surface intersection tool. I then had to cut each waterline line at intersections of the waterline and the s-to-s lines created by the intersection tool. Again, this is a lot of extra line work created out of the need to have boundaries for the deck plating in order to create 6 surfaces which would be stitched to make the solid that is the deck plating.)

In several cases, the trimmed/cut waterlines did not accurately intersect the stations. I am not certain that this is a Delftship problem in exporting the DXF 3D Polylines. I am concerned that it may be VCP's reading of the lines and approximating. But, it may be the version of DXF file used by Delftship. In any case, this situation would lead to the suggestion to create excess material and just trim it off. But, my tool idea would avoid that -- as long as we assume and accept that the cut-line gaps involved are sub-millimeter and irrelevant for modeling at my skill level and for non-real-world construction presentation.

IMAGE 006

In image 006, you see the result of (depending on one's skill or proficiency) of maybe an hour worth of trial and error, zooming, panning, and rechecking. And that is just for ONE section in the hull. There are 13 more. Other models might be larger hulls or more involved local areas.

(If an external FEA or FEM tool suggested raising or lowering the deck, i would have to go into Delftship and edit them and then re-export them. Arguably, i could just do this in VCP, but again, the perfectly-exported mesh is surface-a-non-grata. I created one-foot interval stations and then created surfaces between each interval of station, but that creates problems mentioned above in the Image 005 paragraph. I later created stations spanning 3, 4, 5, and 6 foot intervals of stations. Depending on where the stations are in the ship, these surfaces will be easy draws or longer ones. In many cases these tediously-inserted recreated surfaces are not faithfully smooth like the imported mesh. If they are used in renders, it would immediately become clear that all sorts of waviness in the model exists. Depending on the observer (say, a design competition judge), this could be an immediate and irrevocable, irrecoverable turnoff. )

IMAGE 007

NOW WE ARE STARTING TO GET INTO THE **MEAT** OF MY SUGGESTION (see following post)
File Attachment(s):
pre-solid-007.jpeg (12kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
pre-solid-008.jpeg (28kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
pre-solid-008a.jpeg (47kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
pre-solid-001.jpeg (16kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
pre-solid-002.jpeg (11kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
pre-solid-003.jpeg (54kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
pre-solid-004.jpeg (27kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
pre-solid-005.jpeg (11kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
pre-solid-006.jpeg (18kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010 3:05:44 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
IMAGE 007

NOW WE ARE STARTING TO GET INTO THE **MEAT** OF MY SUGGESTION (see preceding post)

In image 007, you see the port (left) side elevation looking to starboard (right). Previously, the port side stations and waterlines were hidden for decluttering the view. What you see in this view are:

-- the red lines indicating selection of the stations (making the WT TVBHD curves/solids boundaries)

-- the waterlines (upper and lower of each deck's plate boundaries)

-- various nodes of lines caught in the left-select window

-- another pair of deck surfaces drawn between upper/lower boundaries at a lower waterline in the hull model.

HERE IS WHERE PUNCH! COULD PRESENT A NON-MODAL DIALOG BOX FOR MY NOTIONAL "Mirror Extrude About Modelspace or a User-Defined Centerline" TOOL

The user would intellectually know the plating boundaries. ONLY two curves are need. Nothing more need be drawn.

VC/VCP/Shark would know the boundaries by pretending the user drew curves at two waterlines (upper/lower surface boundary preparations) from starboard to port, and VC/VCP/Shark would pretend the user drew skins dependent on those lines (4 provided on import and 12 manually arrived at by the user breaking/trimming lines to obtain boundaries for 6 surfaces for just one deck plate -- and in the hull there are some 14 frames boundaries having generally 5 deck plates, meaning 70 constructions, each taking maybe two to 5 minutes or work and troubleshooting. Optimistically, that's 140 minutes to 350 minutes. If the user finds a flaw in the hydrodynamics, the model has to be thrown away and re-broken, re-layered, and re-drawn where affected.)

The dialog box would be accessed by a tool or an optional user-assigned shortcut. Ideally, these minimal features should be part of the tool:

-- it should be non-modal, as the user will interactively add and remove curves in the selection/deselection process

-- a preview or trial-before-commit mode

-- layer attach/assignment capability to en-masse assigne levels or portions

-- a hide-upon-commit, to declutter the view as the user moves into another area to be "mirror-extruded"

-- one-by-one and all-at-once mirror-extruding of selected parts

-- independent mirror-extrusion that does not blend or munge mirror-extruded curves.

-- no need to zoom out to select the model's or files UCS/XYZ point to set up the mirror -- it should be asked for or indicated in the non-modal dialog box, as the user in my scenario is likely to mirror similar types of things in one session and complete task and then do something else. (But if PUNCH! is feeling ambitious, multiple options for axes selection could be on the non-modal dialog box.)

-- ability to tell VC/VCP/Shark that the mirror-about axis is either the drawing file's model centerline, or an arbitrary axis assigned to additional copies of a model in the same file; this would enable the user to have in-file working copies to create and transfer built parts created in other areas of the model file. Restated, the drawing should have not only the model designed universal axis, but multiple, persistent axes attached to any other geometry. Maybe this could be some form of "bottle in the model" feature.

-- possible ability to automatically cut and discard intersecting or apparently intersection waterline region-trimmed segments not needed (say, when the bulkhead is use for cutting/trimming lines on either side of a given bulkhead)

-- possible inclusion of a spreadsheet-like sheet that appends in group/layer mode items selected, thereby creating a deferred action sheet so the user can just all this stuff in one go/pass and then hit "commit"

-- sane ability to do the mirror-extrusions in a safe manner that won't overwhelm the CPU/GPU, and do so with the least amount of dependency on ACIS/Spatial kernel matters

Image 008

In image 008, it is apparent that the user should not be deprived of zooms and pans, as this would allow the batch-mode or ad-hoc mode user (meaning someone not even using an external tool like Delftship) to watch the extrusions and accept a post-commit. Ideally, after each post-commit accept, VC/VCP/Shark would commit these changes in an atomic manner like databases do, just in case windows or VC/VCP/Shark crashes occur.