logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kevjon  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:15:50 AM(UTC)
kevjon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

After using ViaCAD for a little while I find that text in the dialog boxes & inspector box always goes bold. I have to restart Viacad to get it back to normal.

I found this happens in V8 and 9 on Windows 7. It happens when using Windows 7 basic scheme or aero scheme.

Its not a big deal, just annoying !
workshopswarf  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 12:33:13 PM(UTC)
workshopswarf

I too have noticed this but most times it's just normal. I thought I was hitting some key by mistake.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 6:21:16 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I doubt it's normal. I experienced it a LOT during the past 14 months or so, and I thought it might be because I'm running Shark inside a 32-bit win 7 in a VirtualBox vmachine in Linux. But, I have 8 GB on the machine, with 4 going to win 7 (I know, 32-bit win won't access it all, but I do it anyway, just in case VBox can use it for overhead somewhow), and with 256 MB of RAM going to video.

However, due to some weirdness going on, I began running Task Manager even more than usual. I began to notice that as my file content grew and my file sizes grew alarmingly fast, RAM consumption was going from ~200MB on file open to just over 600MB on file open, with a number of edits, view changes, and such pushing things past 1.1 GB in under half an hour to an hour and a half.

On around 3 occasions, I got a dreaded "cannot save file" with no explanation. It seemed to coincide with hitting 1.5 to 1.8 GB of RAM consumption.

Also, when I have seen the jumboized/bolded fonts the most is when I have 3 or 4 viewports open. As soon as I'm panning/zooming/ and then select something, my machine (Virtual machine) freezes or jiggles, then sometimes it will lock up and then summarily CRASH VBox. On a few lucky occasions, I've managed to save the file by avoiding dialog boxes, using shortcuts to bypass graphical overhead. That does not always work.

After task killing VBox if it locks up but does not die, I sometimes experienced SLT killing Windows, which killed VBox, which killed KDE, forcing me to reboot since I don't do termninals via serial ports or such. If only VBox dies, I restart it, but it win7 throws a message about doing some recommended checks. I bypass that and restart the Virtual machine again, and al is ready to run, except that windows is so stupid that it cannot restore the crashed file explorers that were open at crash time. They are in the "Recent Placess" list, but the windows (even tho they reopen on normal shut downs and restarts) won't reopen for me. This wrecks my train of thought or forces me to copy and paste the file paths in a text file on the desktop.

I also used to experience a weird situation where if I went off-screen with my moused over the laptop's display, and brough it back to screen, the cursor would be distorted. Probably communications issues between VBox and Windows and Shark, but it ONLY happened when running SLT, not other windows apps.

Around a month ago, I downloaded one of the SLT betas, but it turned out to be 64-Bit. I'm ALWAYS suspicous that developers "piggyback" undisclosed stuff, but I'm not saying Tim does that. But, since I deleted the beta/trial (I misread and thougth it was for 32-bit, but there is not 32-bit version), I've had ZERO mouse wonkiness, and ZERO SLT/Win/VBox crashes.

My drawings and file sizes have not changed, so I don't know what stopped the spate of crashes, lock-ups, and mouse issues. This machine DOES NOT go online (hasn't since mid 2013), so any malicious payloads would have to be something from a months old download.

Could be video drivers in your case, or something else. I don't know. But, if your setup is similar to mine, and you want to play the ouiji board, download the 64-bit and try to run it, get the fail, then unistall it. I did not check for changed timestamps or anything else. Wouldn't matter anyway, because if it were the gov or malicious types attacking you, they could fake the timestamps and even the payload unless you are adept at comparing files byte-by-bite. Maybe, though, the V9 64-Bit installer does general cleanup of junk or cruft from prior installs even tho it does not "change" the previous installs. If it's cleaning up junk, and absolutely not introducing new problems, then I definitely like and welcome that.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 3:16:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eye out for it.

If anyone comes up with steps to repeat, please holler.

Thanks

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
workshopswarf  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 2:20:58 PM(UTC)
workshopswarf

I have just had this happen again Tim.
I can't quite see exactly when this happens but it is during text entry.
I have ViaCad v8 on windows 7. Prior to this I had v7 on XP and the same thing happed.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:59:09 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
When you guys get the bolding occurrences, are you having to restart windows, too?

If you are not having to restart windows, have you activated Task Manager and determined how much RAM VCP/SLT are consuming during or after the crash? How much of the CPU is being dominated?

When it happend to me, I sometimes could avoid loss of windows by using keyestroke short cuts. Almost anytime I used the mouse to resize SLT, all of windows would collapse.