logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djm  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:23:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
My preferred keyboard shortcut for the select tool is the space bar. While I can assign it successfully, it won't stick when reopening Viacad and must be done each time I open the program. Could this be made a permanent option?
I have tried to work around it by editing the shortcuts.ini but haven't found an option that works as yet.
NickB  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:06:45 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My guess is no.
The space bar is hard coded to be used for pan, so your shortcut will always be overwritten.

Why not do what I do and program one of your mouse buttons to be select, that way you can use and arbitrary key, and not have to touch the keyboard to get to the tool you use most.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
djm  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:30:44 PM(UTC)

Thanks Nick for the good suggestion.
If the program can remember to use the space bar each time the program is started and the shortcuts chosen I just hoped it could be made to recognize it permanently. I employ keyboard shortcuts with such frequency that my left hand is always on the keyboard so that's no hardship there.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:23:54 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djm Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Nick for the good suggestion.
If the program can remember to use the space bar each time the program is started and the shortcuts chosen I just hoped it could be made to recognize it permanently. I employ keyboard shortcuts with such frequency that my left hand is always on the keyboard so that's no hardship there.

On the topic of keyboard shortcuts....

I wish we could have multi-keystroke shortcuts to make quasi mnemonic or better memory aides of them. I tend to forget my shortcuts and wish I could jab out cut or pla enter to cutting plane; spl enter for split; brk enter for breaking a solid; tri for trim; and so on. After a couple of weeks away, i almost ALWAYS forget my own assigned shortcuts because the make no damned sense except for when I use a, s, v, and r, and t for aft, starboard, port, keel, and top, respectivey.
djm  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:49:15 PM(UTC)

Nick, which motherboard are you using in that hackintosh of yours? I'm blown away at the sheer viability of building a mac as one has always been able to build a PC nowadays. Off topic, but I can do that. : )
NickB  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:10:32 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
PM sent in reply.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc