logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
crumpton  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 7:58:38 AM(UTC)
crumpton

I've spent probably 80hr refining a solid model for an important project only to find is isn't solid.

V10.0.5 on macOS 10.13.6

Tried to have my model printed and was informed it was just "surface". So I exported an igs and brought in into fusion360, did a section analysis and it is clearly hollow.

Ran a couple of very simple tests. Did a 'skin solid' between two ellipse as well as a 'lofted solid' between two extruded solids. Brought them into fusion and they are also just skin. Easy enough to stitch them in fusion and validate they are solid. Last ditch effort, simply exported an 'extrude solid', no go.

I'd love to just run that stitch on my model but it is too complicated and is left with a few edges unstitched so no solid.

Back to the basic test, does anyone have an opinion on what is happening here?

Thanks in advance
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:07:10 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
If the model in V10.0.5 is a solid, then export as .stp or .sat. IGS is always surfaces not solid even though your model is a solid.

Also, since you mentioned that you want the model printed. You can just export as .stl and do the leg work for them. Be sure the model is closed and confirm with an external .stl viewer. Simple. If there's a problem with the .stl, they will let you know.

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
crumpton  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:11:49 AM(UTC)
crumpton

Thanks for the reply rockyroad, ok, i get the igs part, thanks. However I stumbled on this simply exporting the model as stl and they informed me it was just a skin/surface.
rockyroad_us  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:17:14 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

I cannot comment on the .stl since I don't know what the design looks like. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that the part you select should show a solid icon on the concept explorer.

Another thing you can do to be sure the solid is closed is to run the check object. It will let you know if there's a problem with the solid such as gaps or something else. Also be sure, you don't have a duplicate surface.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
crumpton  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:30:39 AM(UTC)
crumpton

well there is this... I am clearly missing something in creating the model.

UserPostedImage

and

UserPostedImage
rockyroad_us  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:02:26 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

looks like you lost the history. Be sure you have a backup with the history. Sometimes if you break a link, you'll loose the history.

The next thing I would do from that message is to change back to surfaces using the change object type and restitch after checking for double surfaces. or do stitch surfaces which will also make it into a solid and then recheck the object.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
L. Banasky  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:05:22 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Hi Crumpton,
If it's possible, include your file in your post.
Larry