logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jol  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2008 9:07:15 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When you split an interpolate spline .. why do you end up with a control point spline ?

It's really annoying, but there may very well be a good technical reason for this

Since control point splines are (as mentioned previously) of little use in developing surface networks (as there are no points-on-spline on which to attach cross-curves), you have to convert it right back again to an interpolate spline - and probably then redraw it because of ugly point placement.

Can't we please have an option here to keep it as an interpolate spline ? (ideally respecting the previous point placement if that's possible !?)

Not sure if this is possible, but we really need to start addressing this obstacle course that is surfacing

Paul, would you mind checking when you have time .. is it the same in Rhino ?
jol attached the following image(s):
split.jpg (26kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2008 11:11:03 AM(UTC)
jol

Also, if you split a bezier .. it too becomes a control point spline

I can see no logic here at all - surely here it would be easy peasy to retain spline type !?
jol  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 5:07:48 AM(UTC)
jol

Conversely - when I join two Interpolate Splines together, I get a Control Point Spline if the tangency between the 2 splines is perfect .. otherwise I get another interpolate spline with a SQUILLION POINTS (which is entirely USELESS)

Once again I have to digitise over that a new Interpolate Spline, so that I get a clean spline with the minimal and particular point spacing I need for surfacing.

Must we change spline state like this Tim ?

Can't we have a choice ?

(note the problem with porcupine not lighting up on a the Control Point Spline on the right)

WE NEED BETTER SPLINE TOOLS
spline types.jpg (301kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

jol  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 6:55:04 AM(UTC)
jol

It's the same with the offset tool

(I don't get why we need to change this object type as the nature of the offset curve will be very similar to the original)

What I REALLY NEED is an offset curve with a similar number of points as the original (and ideally placed similarly)

I can't tweak these control point splines reliably with so many points

First rule of surfacing :

ALWAYS USE THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF POINTS THAT CAN DESCRIBE YOUR SHAPE ACCURATELY
offset.jpg (91kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

jol  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 8:03:58 AM(UTC)
jol

OK - on Rhino Mac .. if I offset a curve, it does appear to become a control point spline with waaay more points

However ... if I join 2 curves together, the point structure of the first curve is retained .. ie a manageable spline results
unique  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 10:33:04 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
When you split an interpolate spline .. why do you end up with a control point spline ?

It's really annoying, but there may very well be a good technical reason for this

Since control point splines are (as mentioned previously) of little use in developing surface networks (as there are no points-on-spline on which to attach cross-curves), you have to convert it right back again to an interpolate spline - and probably then redraw it because of ugly point placement.

Can't we please have an option here to keep it as an interpolate spline ? (ideally respecting the previous point placement if that's possible !?)

Not sure if this is possible, but we really need to start addressing this obstacle course that is surfacing

Paul, would you mind checking when you have time .. is it the same in Rhino ?

I do zero surfacing in VC so bear with me here.....why cant you use control point curves when making a network surface, I do it all the time in Rhino ?

If you choose to delve into nurb detail Rhino is full of it....it's built on it. Curves and their data are shown differently to VC, I mean VC does not show you all technical data such as curve degree, knots etc

To answer your question, if I draw an Int. curve in Rhino it is the same as a CP curve, same degree (unless is choose otherwise) BUT it always has a higher node/cv count and in most cases has non-uniform knots as opposed to a CP curve which are uniform. (unless they are straight line curves ;). I see no big changes in the curve if I split the curve in Rhino....HTH

In VC when you draw a Int. curve it shows the "edit points" or knot averages whereas if you draw an CP curve it shows the control points. In Rhino showing the points displays the control points no matter what curve it is.

From Google [URL="http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/2000/AGraphHCI/SMEG/node4.html"]http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/2000/AGraphHCI/SMEG/node4.html[/URL]

Maybe Tim can explain why we have all this conversion facility...even the ability to convert an Int. spline TO and Int. spline :confused:....maybe this can be streamlined a little if the users understood why it is in place ?

Greetings,
jol  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 12:25:01 PM(UTC)
jol

>> why cant you use control point curves when making a network surface, I do it all the time in Rhino ?

Sure, you can, but you likely won't get very nice surfaces ! And they'll be a prick to edit

See image
if.jpg (22kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

unique  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 4:25:38 PM(UTC)
unique

>> why cant you use control point curves when making a network surface, I do it all the time in Rhino ?

Sure, you can, but you likely won't get very nice surfaces ! And they'll be a prick to edit

See image

Not at all, in fact quite the opposite accurate & smooth.

I have never tried building surfaces with overlapping curves, I generally setup my curves so that they are correct for the surface I require....this can take time but then you knowing the saying - "shit in & shit out"

Editing curves in Rhino have history like VC therefore editing is a wizzzz;)

In your image you show the middle curve to have 'tangency'...what are they tangent with here...im trying to understand your point JOL.
jol  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 4:43:10 PM(UTC)
jol

>>I have never tried building surfaces with overlapping curves

Paul, they're not .. I'm showing 2 surfaces in a network of surfaces .. these 2 surfaces have matched tangency

>>Not at all, in fact quite the opposite accurate & smooth.

OK Paul .. clearly you know it all
unique  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 5:06:50 PM(UTC)
unique

>>I have never tried building surfaces with overlapping curves

Paul, they're not .. I'm showing 2 surfaces in a network of surfaces .. these 2 surfaces have matched tangency

Ohhh 2 surfaces....okay, are they split with the curve going across then, did VC match the surfaces in the network surf command ?

>>Not at all, in fact quite the opposite accurate & smooth.

OK Paul .. clearly you know it all

Note me, nor do I profess too. In my previous post I mentioned I had zero knowledge of surfacing in VC therefore my comments were to do with Rhino. Im trying to see if anything can be learned and implicated into VC to help..but never mind eh .......I see my efforts are wasted here:rolleyes:
NickB  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 2:04:03 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Control point splines should be renames to useless sloppy splines. I just spent hours redrawing geometry that was created from exploding edges and offsetting conics so that I could extrude a profile to make what should have been a simple cut. Every time I explode an edge on all but the most simple geometry I end up with a multi hour headache. If Control Point Splines were usable it would be one thing, but creating useless geometry that has to be reworked is what gets me. Jol, once again is completely correct in his assessment of this useless line / curve / spline type.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
unique  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2009 6:37:27 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Control point splines should be renames to useless sloppy splines. I just spent hours redrawing geometry that was created from exploding edges and offsetting conics so that I could extrude a profile to make what should have been a simple cut. Every time I explode an edge on all but the most simple geometry I end up with a multi hour headache. If Control Point Splines were usable it would be one thing, but creating useless geometry that has to be reworked is what gets me. Jol, once again is completely correct in his assessment of this useless line / curve / spline type.

Hi NickB,

Are you talking about VC or Shark here - can you post any examples ?. Im not sure why you have problems when exploding edges to curves unless the geometry is "complex" to start with :cool:
jol  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:27:02 AM(UTC)
jol

Paul - Shark is as ViaCAD

If you work through the previous page, you will find the answer to your question

The issues are the same whether you are offsetting a spline, joining splines, or exploding a curve off another entity .. point complexity is something you cannot control - and of course you need to to produce fine derivative surfaces / solids. This is why Nick mentions redrawing them.

If your offset / exploded curves are simple, you are probably working in primatives
unique  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:00:55 PM(UTC)
unique

Paul - Shark is as ViaCAD

If you work through the previous page, you will find the answer to your question

The issues are the same whether you are offsetting a spline, joining splines, or exploding a curve off another entity .. point complexity is something you cannot control - and of course you need to to produce fine derivative surfaces / solids. This is why Nick mentions redrawing them.

If your offset / exploded curves are simple, you are probably working in primatives

Dear Jol,

I think it is perfectly normal (in any system) to experience a more complex and higher point count when Offsetting a spline ?? The accuracy of the system is mostly responsible for this taking place as well as the curvature of the input geometry.....so how do you think this can be improved then ??

Joining splines doesn't seem to increase complexity of the final curve over here, what steps do I need to avoid then ??

Most people assume there surfaces are simple whilst working in VC or Shark but if fact they are quite complex, this is due to the surface isocurves not being shown by default. There is a facility to show more isoparms but IMHO this is not consistent and correct...for example the true edit points on a spline are not consistent with an extrusion when you display isolines, this should be so when density is set=1 - Any comments Tim ?

I'm not convinced there is a major problem as you & NickB describe which is why I asked "NickB" for an example....perhaps no coment from Tim is another clue.....
NickB  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:23:25 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Paul,
so to paraphrase you are are saying ". . . it is perfectly acceptable for geometry that is derived from exploded edges to not be usable" ?

If thats the case why even let me create the exploded edge geometry in the first place.

The part I was working on had a sealing gasket that needs to run in a grove that is offset from the outside edge. The bottom edge of the part is a 700 mm arc, and the sides that connect to this are both formed with the elliptical blend tool. The part was then shelled, and I then needed to create an offset from the inside shelled edge. My intent was to then do a one rail extrude for the gasket cut-out, and then boolean subtract that form from the main form. None of the exploded edges that were created were usable, and I ended up having to build a completely new part using original geometry in order to make what should have been a simple subtraction from the original form. Of course everything is drafted which complicates matters, but the underlying geometry was relatively simple and created from solids not surfaces.
NickB attached the following image(s):
cornerSeal.jpg (133kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
unique  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 10:38:34 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Paul,
so to paraphrase you are are saying ". . . it is perfectly acceptable for geometry that is derived from exploded edges to not be usable" ?

If thats the case why even let me create the exploded edge geometry in the first place.

The part I was working on had a sealing gasket that needs to run in a grove that is offset from the outside edge. The bottom edge of the part is a 700 mm arc, and the sides that connect to this are both formed with the elliptical blend tool. The part was then shelled, and I then needed to create an offset from the inside shelled edge. My intent was to then do a one rail extrude for the gasket cut-out, and then boolean subtract that form from the main form. None of the exploded edges that were created were usable, and I ended up having to build a completely new part using original geometry in order to make what should have been a simple subtraction from the original form. Of course everything is drafted which complicates matters, but the underlying geometry was relatively simple and created from solids not surfaces.

Nick,

No, im not saying that, I was answering Jol's comments about offsetting geometry & joining curves etc....because I know this from previous experience with VC and other Cad programs.

I cannot make out what your part is used for but it does look fairly complex. You say the exploded curves are "unusable", I think posting them is the only way people here or development can fix the problem or offer up suggestions :)

My comment would be to use a straight blend/fillet rather than an elliptical one, this would benefit any possible machining process' and will certainly make the model simpler for further operations such as this...That said I certainly see your point which is why I think posting actual problems IS the only way to get anything done...sometimes:p
(attached image as example of underlying geometry, showing points)

FYI: I am interested to know all the short comings (if any) of this product before we further invest in Shark...
unique attached the following image(s):
Geom.jpg (60kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

jol  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 11:36:52 AM(UTC)
jol

Here's a more obvious example of a spline that becomes effectively ineditable

When you join 2 splines which have imperfect tangency to one another - there is no warning - Shark creates a monster of a spline.

Can we have a warning here ?

Again, good spline quality is imperative if we want to construct quality editable derivative surfaces and solids
join non tangent.jpg (56kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Tim Olson  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 12:38:20 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
All our splines at the lowest level are treated as NURB's. ACIS is a NURB/Analytic geometry kernel where the native definition of a spline is a NURB. A NURB is defined by control points (control vertices) plus some additional info (knots, weights, etc). Control points do not necessarily lie on the curve as part of the NURB definition.

An interpolated spline takes a collection of points that lie on the curve and fits to a tolerance a set of control points to the data. Note that control points and interpolated points are not the same thing. Many people like to work with interpolated splines since the edit points lie on the curve they are tweaking. When we make an interpolated spline, we retain the original user points and rebuild the control point spline everytime a interpolated point is manipulated.

Whenever an operation is performed on a spline (interpolated or bezier) such as a trim, break, offset, the resulting form is the most accurate definition, which is a control point spline.

I'm not aware of an ACIS procedure to recalcuate the associated edit/interpolated points from a general NURB. Will need to research further.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 12:54:16 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>There is a facility to show more isoparms but IMHO this is not consistent >>and correct...for example the true edit points on a spline are not >>consistent with an extrusion when you display isolines, this should be so >>when density is set=1 - Any comments Tim ?

The isolines resolution option is behaving correct. Curves are calculated at constant u,v locations across the surface. The UV locations are divided up based on the number you are requesting. I use isolines frequently to really see what's going on with the surface, in particular how smooth it is or if there are any degenerative locations in the surface.

I think what you may be asking for is some way to see the actual control vertices as curves which I would find useful as well.

If you Edit:Change Object type with a general surface, then you can do a Edit: show points to see the actual CV's. But you lose the history when you use this command.

Note:
---isolines are based on the untrimmed surface.
---the number of control vertices used to define a surface are pretty much driven by the accuracy and tolerance of ACIS.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
unique  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:23:35 AM(UTC)
unique

Here's a more obvious example of a spline that becomes effectively ineditable

When you join 2 splines which have imperfect tangency to one another - there is no warning - Shark creates a monster of a spline.

Can we have a warning here ?

Again, good spline quality is imperative if we want to construct quality editable derivative surfaces and solids

Hi Jol,

Very Good example. Can I be nosy and ask why are you joining these curves together if they already touch?

I feel this highlights the fact that the join command is not a good tool at all and not much use for accurate modeling, I never use it and took a dislike to it from the very start. Why would anyone want the join command two curves like this anyway...I mean with a blend when these tools are already at your disposal. IMO joining two curves with G0/G1 cont. should not effect the structure or density of the curve, it should just modify a few cv's here and there - Tim ?