logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#21 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 11:15:18 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There are many, many bugs like this throughout the package.

However, rather than thinking of them as bugs, think of them as 'quirks'. Generally its best to always edit object info in the object info window and not in the control panel at the top of the screen as the results are just to 'quirky' to be usable. Think of the control panel as for "informational purposes only". I know this is not what you want to read, but sadly it is reality and things have been like this for years. CU / Shark is quirky and often unpredictable, but despite that it is still easier to use than a lot of other CAD packages, and once you start to learn the limitations you will forget about some of the quirks.

Comparing Shark to any of the 'big boys' SolidWorks, NX, AutoCad, Pro etc. Shark is like an adolescent genius. Full of obvious promise, but lots of rough edges and pimples when you start looking closely. Thats not to knock it, but rather to be realistic and recognize that it is unlikely to ever have the polish of the big packages. It would be nice if it did, but then it would probably also be twice the price and you would never have direct contact with the developer.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jol  
#22 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 11:48:32 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
.. nor should we excuse it !!!

(if you need cheering up however .. we have come a million miles since the days of Assplat)
Steve.M  
#23 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 2:08:13 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: bradcan Go to Quoted Post
Where is the extrude vector for the first extrude? Why can't I edit the object info?

I am not sure what is happening in that model. I have built a similar model and not seeing the problem, all the info is showing and can be edited directly in the object info. The only difference I can see, is that you built on sub layers, so it may be a problem there.
bradcan  
#24 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 5:13:52 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
The only difference I can see, is that you built on sub layers, so it may be a problem there.

Thats just not true, the entire model is on one layer.

Are you saying that building on different layers is known to provoke strange behavior?
bradcan  
#25 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 5:52:31 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post

Are you serious? That bad?

However, rather than thinking of them as bugs, think of them as 'quirks'. Generally its best to always edit object info in the object info window and not in the control panel at the top of the screen as the results are just to 'quirky' to be usable. Think of the control panel as for "informational purposes only". I know this is not what you want to read, but sadly it is reality and things have been like this for years. CU / Shark is quirky and often unpredictable, but despite that it is still easier to use than a lot of other CAD packages, and once you start to learn the limitations you will forget about some of the quirks.

In England this is called teaching your granddad to suck eggs.

Comparing Shark to any of the 'big boys' SolidWorks, NX, AutoCad, Pro etc. Shark is like an adolescent genius. Full of obvious promise, but lots of rough edges and pimples when you start looking closely. Thats not to knock it, but rather to be realistic and recognize that it is unlikely to ever have the polish of the big packages. It would be nice if it did, but then it would probably also be twice the price and you would never have direct contact with the developer.

Well really! The price of a tool is irrelevant, it's the cost that matters.
Steve.M  
#26 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 10:32:55 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Thats just not true, the entire model is on one layer.
The model is on one layer, but that is a sub layer of the extrude layer. When I import the model, it imports with all layers, but when I open the file, those sub layers are lost on my setup.

Are you saying that building on different layers is known to provoke strange behavior?
I have not seen problems directly with building on different layers, but have not personally built on sub layers in VC, so I was just thinking aloud and wondering if there may be a problem there.
Steve.M  
#27 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 1:13:26 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

I have been thinking hard on this statement. I do wonder where this problem lies.
Is it due to the vendor (Tim) not addressing the issues, or a need for more reports of the possible problems/bugs.

I do, in my limited short time with VC (a newbie as mentioned elsewhere) see Tim making all efforts in resolving reported/confirmed bugs. So to me the only real problem is the possible fact that reports of bugs are not made in a repeatable way to show that possible bug.
NickB  
#28 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 5:23:56 PM(UTC)
NickB

I have been thinking hard on this statement. I do wonder where this problem lies.
Is it due to the vendor (Tim) not addressing the issues, or a need for more reports of the possible problems/bugs.

I do, in my limited short time with VC (a newbie as mentioned elsewhere) see Tim making all efforts in resolving reported/confirmed bugs. So to me the only real problem is the possible fact that reports of bugs are not made in a repeatable way to show that possible bug.

In my opinion it comes down to:

1. Resources - Not enough.

2. Priorities - New features have a higher priority than fixing small intractable interface quirks. The thinking apears to be don't spend time on things that are not 100 percent broken. Ignore the stuff that does not work well. Rendering UI, Layer Manager, Concept Explorer / histories, dimensioning.

3. Organization - Or lack thereoff.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
jol  
#29 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 2:08:41 AM(UTC)
jol

I think I see where the problem lies
jol attached the following image(s):
spinner.jpg (42kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
unique  
#30 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 3:57:19 AM(UTC)
unique

In my opinion it comes down to:

1. Resources - Not enough.

2. Priorities - New features have a higher priority than fixing small intractable interface quirks. The thinking apears to be don't spend time on things that are not 100 percent broken. Ignore the stuff that does not work well. Rendering UI, Layer Manager, Concept Explorer / histories, dimensioning.

Im not entirely sure about your comment on resources, because I do not know. What I will say is that it does appear from the outside like there is only really one developer BUT having said that I have been reasonably happy with the speed at which they are getting fixed....

The second point I agree entirely, I have found some of the basic tools within VC to be very poor and buggy but again they do seem to be coming good after each beta....im hoping 812b will see more done.

Nick: If you have a specific issue please post, who knows maybe one of us newbies can help you !!:D
bradcan  
#31 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 5:10:45 AM(UTC)
bradcan

The model is on one layer, but that is a sub layer of the extrude layer.

Only if you import.

When I import the model, it imports with all layers, but when I open the file, those sub layers are lost on my setup.

Which layers are lost? Its just that layer 'extrude' is no longer created to contain the import.

If you open the file then you should see exactly how it was created.

I move stuff around between layers all the time and have never observed a problem. I think I can say without fear of contradiction that layers is one of the few features that is bug free.

Thats why I asked:

bradcan wrote:
Are you saying that building on different layers is known to provoke strange behavior

Unfortunately nobody seems to answer direct questions. :rolleyes:
bradcan  
#32 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 5:44:10 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Moderator: Please put the non technical opinions being expressed in this thread somewhere else. A flame war is imminent.
bradcan  
#33 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 6:51:44 AM(UTC)
bradcan

I am not sure what is happening in that model. I have built a similar model and not seeing the problem, all the info is showing and can be edited directly in the object info.

Hi Steve

This is how I built an extrude WITHOUT a direction vector in the in the object info dialog. It seems to be repeatable.

New, draw geometry on the XY plane, select 'extrude solid' .. by vector, select the geometry. Now put some numbers in the top menu data entry fields. The result is not what I expect. The dx,dy and dz fields are normalized into a workplane normal and the distance is norm(dz,dy,dz). Or the delta components are calculated if I enter 'distance'.

Most importantly, however, the object info for the extrude now has NO DIRECTION VECTOR only the distance field.

These things are bugging me because I am an old man used to, and require, command line data entry.

What is the top menu is for, if not for data entry?

NickB: If it's just for info then why can I enter data.
Steve.M  
#34 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 8:56:43 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi bradcan,

I follow what you are doing now.

That I would say is a bug, as we should be able to input the vectors on the dX/dY/dZ for the vector extrude. It does work for the thin extrude.

I will report it in the beta section.

- Steve
NickB  
#35 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 1:30:52 PM(UTC)
NickB

Bradcan,

Generally I find the control bar too buggy for entering data, and only enter data there for the few operations that absolutely require it and I know are bug free, like specifying a radius or a an angle of rotation. For operations like extrude by distance it is almost completely useless if you are not extruding in the X, Y or Z plane. If your extrude is not on one of those planes, use extrude by Vector. In fact I default to extrude by vector, and then enter the distance in the Object Info / Data window. My method is: select tool, select lines / curves to extrude, click my mouse in the direction I want to extrude then enter exact distance in Object Info / Data. Sometimes you get lucky and can enter the distance in the control bar, sometimes you get either an inconsistent result or an error message.

Welcome to the wonderfully (buggy) quirky world of ViaCad / Shark. Like I wrote earlier once you get over the quirks things work fairly well.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
NickB  
#36 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 1:41:43 PM(UTC)
NickB

NickB: If it's just for info then why can I enter data.

You can enter data, but just know that it is VERY buggy.

I work on a duel screen setup, and ALWAY have object info open as it is the only totally reliable way of entering data.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot_03.jpg (227kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
unique  
#37 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 2:54:20 PM(UTC)
unique

You can enter data, but just know that it is VERY buggy.

I work on a duel screen setup, and ALWAY have object info open as it is the only totally reliable way of entering data.

Nick,

IMHO the object info window should be the 'only' place to edit data after it has been created, why do we still have two methods in this UI ? :confused:
jol  
#38 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 2:58:42 PM(UTC)
jol

To my mind, 2 methods are great ..

.. proviso: they must both work consistently !
jol  
#39 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 2:59:16 PM(UTC)
jol

Isn't it also time that the Object Info and Feature Tree windows became one

.. the "Object Inspector" perhaps ?
unique  
#40 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 3:28:57 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
To my mind, 2 methods are great ..

.. proviso: they must both work consistently !

I don't follow your logic....why have two methods and duplicate data displayed?. Would you not rather see one clean functional Object info area instead of the current two confusing ones ?

Also, this would release the room up top for something else ?

....just my 2 pence worth ;)