logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#41 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 4:53:24 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
Isn't it also time that the Object Info and Feature Tree windows became one

.. the "Object Inspector" perhaps ?

Force of habit, but I like the separation between the Object Info and Feature Tree. What I don't like is that I can not see Object Data and Object Attributes at the same time, or Layers and History. I think it is high time these artificial barriers were removed. Its not 1995 and screen real estate is limited to tiny 17" CRT displays which required thousand dollar video cards to be usable in millions of colors. How hard would it be create some type of tear of tabs / windows like Adobe and Omni products have, or lets us have multiples of the same windows like Apple allows with Pages, Keynote etc.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jol  
#42 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 1:11:46 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I don't really get your argument - there are often 2 or 3 ways of doing something

In my opinion (& by option), the top bar should become a heads-up overlay
bradcan  
#43 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 9:05:22 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Just my opinion here (off topic again), but before a debate on how a particular UI feature should/might work if changed, the existing one should be at least bug free and as intended by the designer.

Obviously, folks are adopting procedures to suit the vagaries of the existing UI. Given that bugs do exist, it follows that it is impossible to adopt smooth working procedures.

If I browse about this site I see many complaints about mysterious glitches. These might be down to simple misunderstanding of the UI design, or bad paradigms in the UI. Or, indeed bugs, or more likely a combination of all the above factors. Mostly, I'm finding it's bugs aggravating my understanding of an, otherwise, excellent UI.

Whatever, [RANT HERE] everyone wants to design the beast, but nobody wants to debug it. I even see suggestions that fixing the problems is a waste of the time better spent on new exotic features. This is implicit in the way this thread keeps going off topic onto what features should replace the features/glitches/bugs under discussion.

Papering more potentially indifferent GUI features over inherent bugs is, in my humble experience, doomed to failure (just produces more bugs!).

I too have views and gripes about data entry, history, layers and object info dialogs. I think that if the existing paradigms worked as they were, presumably, intended then they would be seen by the majority of users as a very good way to do what are, after all, extremely difficult compromises in a GUI implementation.

Having gone completely off topic my self, can I please make another plea to keep the suggestions out of the discussion threads. They just get in the way and make me :mad::mad::mad:

I want, no need, to discover how to use ViaCAD effectively. In the process I expect to have misunderstandings and to find bugs. If I wanted or needed to see opinions about how to improve or otherwise alter the UI I would go look in the suggestions area.

Opinion: 'Ideas are 2 a penny - Good ones are 1 in a 1,000,000 and the result of hard work not plagiarism'.[RANT OVER]
jol  
#44 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 9:09:46 AM(UTC)
jol

I suggest you lead by example
bradcan  
#45 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 10:10:14 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Generally I find the control bar too buggy for entering data

I hardly needed you to tell me that. What you are saying is that VC is useless (in this respect). I'm turned right off using VC by this kind of observation.

only enter data there for the few operations that absolutely require it and I know are bug free

Which ones might they be? You seem to know! How should I? Should we perhaps demand it be put in the manual?

Are you really sure the ones that YOU know are bug free, are, in fact not bugging you somewhere else?

In fact I default to extrude by vector, and then enter the distance in the Object Info / Data window. My method is: select tool, select lines / curves to extrude, click my mouse in the direction I want to extrude then enter exact distance in Object Info / Data.

Mostly using the mouse to get around the bug means you end up doing the operation twice! A complaint I have with VC.

Seem you never used the speed and simplicity of command line CAD. Mostly a mouse and a GUI get in the way, unless something very clever emulates the command line. Failure here then!

If the bug, I have now spent much time pinning down, is so obvious then why did you not explain to unique early on?

Sometimes you get lucky and can enter the distance in the control bar, sometimes you get either an inconsistent result or an error message.

A mater of luck!!! Couldn't let you near a dangerous machine tool then.

Welcome to the wonderfully (buggy) quirky world of ViaCad / Shark. Like I wrote earlier once you get over the quirks things work fairly well.

Nope I'll never accept bugs. It's the thin end of the wedge. But, then you Windoze types have been conditioned to accept them.

It's obvious (from your sarcastic remarks about bugzilla etc) that you have never used a UNIX platform and wouldn't know a bug free platform if it poked you in the eye.

To be fair most accurate 3D modelers are in the same state as VC, even the big boys insist on playing the feature bloat game at the expense of stability. I had hopped, perhaps stupidly, that VC might be different.

Have a play with something like Wings 3D if you think there's nothing powerful, feature rich and bug free. Oh it's also free open source. That's free as in freedom of thought not free as in a free lunch.
unique  
#46 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 10:12:37 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: bradcan Go to Quoted Post
.....Whatever, [RANT HERE] everyone wants to design the beast, but nobody wants to debug it. I even see suggestions that fixing the problems is a waste of the time better spent on new exotic features. This is implicit in the way this thread keeps going off topic onto what features should replace the features/glitches/bugs under discussion.
[RANT OVER]

Ehhh ?? nobody wahts to de-bug it ?? Have you gone mad?

This forum does have the tendancy for too much talk and not enough action....please do point out the post you talk about where someone has "suggested" that fixing problems is a waste of time ?

I dont see any of your posts being of interest to the developer - mate!. Im with you Jol ;)
bradcan  
#47 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 10:16:08 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Unique

Sorry I got a bit carried away. That was a bit of an over generalization and I apologias:o.

I infer from the tone and drift of this thread, in particular, that there is more interest in features than bug fixing.

Particularly NickB is at pains to tell me, in effect, to live with it.

I have made pleas for separation of the issues and warned of my impending flaming.

If my approach is un-welcome I am happy to go elsewhere.
bradcan  
#48 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 10:19:26 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
I dont see any of your posts being of interest to the developer - mate!.

If thats true I'll shut up.

Whats the forum for developers or users?

Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
I suggest you lead by example

Yes good advice, I'll try.
Tim Olson  
#49 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 11:14:53 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>The first extrude in the tree has object info of magnitude ONLY. The >>second has magnitude and a direction vector!

>>Where is the extrude vector for the first extrude?
>>Why can't I edit the object info?

The extruded solid by vector was getting incorrectly marked as an extruded solid by distance (thanks Steve for the steps) when created through the data entry fields. The two different types have different Edit Objects page. This is fixed in 813 thanks for reporting.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
bradcan  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2008 4:50:40 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
im sure I could
modify the Distance after creating the part in the Object info window by input the value & hitting apply

I also see that. If I do an extrude by distance, or by vector entering data in the top menu only. That is, NOT using the mouse to spec. a direction. There is a known issue here. See Steve.M's beta report [URL="http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1695"]Extrude by vector[/URL]

Apart from the fact that the direction vector fields do not appear in the object info when they should and do when they should not. (confused? I am!) What also happens is that clicking the apply button gets ignored until you hit enter for the first time. Thereafter both apply and enter seem to work.

Did somebody get their events and threads crossed?;) Oops sorry .. trying not to be a newbe wise ass. :D
mikeschn  
#51 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:51:51 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Whatever, [RANT HERE] everyone wants to design the beast, but nobody wants to debug it.

I for one agree with the debugging aspect. But part of the debugging includes polishing the program to make it more clear for everyone to understand. But I can see my ideas are not welcomed by everyone. So I guess I'll just shut up then.
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
Steve.M  
#52 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 10:03:08 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi mikeschn,

Originally Posted by: mikeschn Go to Quoted Post
But I can see my ideas are not welcomed by everyone.
I do not think all ideas are seen the same from everyone, but certainly ideas are welcome, but the "rant" from bradcan I believe was more of a case of new ideas do not fix bugs, but such implementations can actually introduce more bugs.

Originally Posted by: mikeschn Go to Quoted Post
So I guess I'll just shut up then.
I cannot see why you would want or expect that.

I did reply earlier to your posts, about your suggestions, but they where not meant in a way to stop you doing so, it was just that there is a better place on forum to make such suggestions.
Maybe just the case of my being a moderator on security forums takes a hold of me at times, and I put forward such conduct, but I will not apologize for that, but will attempt to refrain.

- Steve
ttrw  
#53 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:37:50 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post

Maybe just the case of my being a moderator on security forums takes a hold of me at times,

"Security forums"??! :eek: :confused:

Is that the baseball bat and persuasive force type security or internet security? ;) LOL!
Steve.M  
#54 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2008 3:19:03 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Is that the baseball bat and persuasive force type security or internet security? ;) LOL!

Internet security.
bradcan  
#55 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2008 9:20:05 AM(UTC)
bradcan

the "rant" from bradcan I believe was more of a case of new ideas do not fix bugs, but such implementations can actually introduce more bugs.

Right on. LoL. The history of CAD is strewn with systems packed with features the average operator never uses! Because, the bugs get right in the way of our ever understanding how to.
Steve.M  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:07:00 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

The history of CAD is strewn with systems packed with features the average operator never uses! Because, the bugs get right in the way of our ever understanding how to.

I can agree that CAD packages will have bugs, but if the bug reports are ignored and not resolved between version releases, then I would have a problem with continuing to use that product.

For the problems reported on this thread, Tim has stated these are now fixed in a version to be released, so just a case of installing the patch (when released) and checking.

If, as some have put forward, that it is a case of having to put up with bugs and finding workarounds, well, that is problem, it is not a path I would/will follow, and from my short time here, I see Tim working and resolving bugs. I will say there are still some bugs to resolve, but certainly will wait as the bugs/problems (I am thinking of and reported) are possibly quite complex to resolve, but, I would still expect some resolution before any sort of new release (paid upgrade) was made.

- Steve
mikeschn  
#57 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:39:42 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Hi mikeschn,

I do not think all ideas are seen the same from everyone, but certainly ideas are welcome, but the "rant" from bradcan I believe was more of a case of new ideas do not fix bugs, but such implementations can actually introduce more bugs.

I cannot see why you would want or expect that.

I did reply earlier to your posts, about your suggestions, but they where not meant in a way to stop you doing so, it was just that there is a better place on forum to make such suggestions.
Maybe just the case of my being a moderator on security forums takes a hold of me at times, and I put forward such conduct, but I will not apologize for that, but will attempt to refrain.

- Steve

Thanks Steve,

I guess I'll be more careful which thread I post on. I'm a site admin too, so I know what you're saying.

mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
ttrw  
#58 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2008 11:23:01 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Right on. LoL. The history of CAD is strewn with systems packed with features the average operator never uses! Because, the bugs get right in the way of our ever understanding how to.

My personal experience of requesting features, and I know this because I'm guilty of it myself :o, is that one usually requests these things because one is unconfident about what the software can already achieve.

BTW, despite the bend tools, I still really want sheet metal tools!! ;) :D